CEH = Exam Fee $500 + $100, Will you attempt it?

<<

pentester

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 am

CEH = Exam Fee $500 + $100, Will you attempt it?

Bad move, I would say!!! EC Council has hikded CEH fee to $500, and its even worst for those who opt for self study (they are punished for not paying $$$$ for the official training, I guess) as they will have to pay a NON-REFUNDABLE fee of $100 in the name of application processing and if they accept your application then you may go to buy an exam voucher for $500 and if they dont accept you application then you wont get any refunds.

With this commercial setting, will you go and attempt C|EH?
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:56 am

Re: CEH = Exam Fee $500 + $100, Will you attempt it?

I personally wouldn't pay for it right now. I might go to WGU for their Info Assurance master's, and they would pay for it :P

I feel like they need to do something different with this exam. Maybe make it a little harder, add some type of lab, and stop raising the damn price a hundred dollars every year!
OSCP in progress
<<

Darktaurus

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:00 am

Yeah I would not have attempted it if the fees were that high at the time.  I agree that it is a very bad move.  I think they should work on content instead of prices right now.  If people are willing to pay that price, they would rather use the money for an OSCP certification instead. 
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12 am

If I wanted that cert, then I would pay for it. There are similar crimes across the board for all certifications so this doesn't seem overly outlandish to me.
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:13 am

The CEH wishes it could be as sexy as OSCP. haha
OSCP in progress
<<

Darktaurus

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:52 am

YuckTheFankees wrote:The CEH wishes it could be as sexy as OSCP. haha

LOL.  OSCP, bringing sexy back.  But seriously, they could get better by just trying to compliment the OSCP.  Teaching more laws, PCI compliance, auditing, etc, to make you more of a complete pentester.  But raising the prices without content is just crazy.  I mean you see what's happening to Netflix...
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:55 am

Agoonie wrote:.  I mean you see what's happening to Netflix...

Exactly! lol
OSCP in progress
<<

r2s

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:13 pm

Bad move? Maybe. For our pockets (if you're not reimbursed by the job), yes, for theirs, no unfortunately.  :D

As long as the CEH has the backing of the DoD as a baseline cert they can definitely get away with the costs. This comment is not made to degrade the certification in any way but rather to the effect of as long as there is a demand, people will pay just about pay anything within reason.

I nabbed CEH v6 earlier this year but if I had to do it again with these prices, I think I would still eventually force myself to do it. At the end of the day, money needs to be made and going back to the 8570, the ROI that comes from covering four out of five CND discipline baseline requirements isn't half bad at all!*

*This is assuming of course your DoD client doesn't require a CE and IAT or IAM cert on top of it.

From a private industry standpoint, I definitely agree with the others and I'd most likely spend my money on Offensive Security Training (OSCP/OSCE) and take exams such as the IACRB CPT/CEPT first. I am more of a hands-on guy personally so I have greater respect for technical certifications that force you to prove your skills in a labbing environment.
In progress: OSCP & GXPN (June)
"Silence enables the sound to be" - Eckhart Toll
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:39 pm

I hope that some point in the future the DoD will stray away from CEH, until changes are made to it. I think the CEH is to security as Network+ is to networking..how many networking jobs require the Network+? None, because its just reading and memorizing..just like CEH.
OSCP in progress
<<

pentester

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:58 am

So most of us would not go for it from our own pocket and would wait for the budget to be allocated and made avaialable out of the employer's pocket!!! But the question is "Is it really worth it?" is this certification a big forward knowledge gear? or a career bolstering piece? or does it really help you conduct practical pentesting? Well even if the answer is YES for some of us the big negativity that spirals out is this ... "they just woke up in the morning and saw owww we have V7 well this is a big milestone ... so lets grab some cash ... why not just double the fee ... wait ... not just double it ... why they opt for self study when we are already selling it ... hmmm that is bad ... so all you self stud(y)iers, you bloody hardworking (eh) security pros you need to shed extra $100 on top... and in the end all you get is "C|EH" !!!

Can you see it? No? Just roll a little into recent past and see what was the price? I would say a bad commercial move... and the cert would die under its own weight. Why not they just put "Only For DoD aspirants" tag??  ;)
<<

Zer0Byt3

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:32 am

BAD MOVE CEH GUYS .... I Ain't paying from my pocket for sure just for the TooLz Tutorialz.  ;D ... make it cheap u dump people so more and more people could join , micro economics 101 get it.  CEH JUST Sounds cool thats all otherwise there is nothing Ultra amazing  about it.
Ce0 www.zer0byte.com.
-----------------------------
<<

Zer0Byt3

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:47 am

and i totally Agree with PENTESTER
Ce0 www.zer0byte.com.
-----------------------------
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:29 pm

If we are judging the cert without thinking about how much it cost, I think its worth it. I would pass the cert just to make a lot of HR's happy, so I can get a damn interview! But dont expect the CEH to change your life lol
OSCP in progress
<<

the_Grinch

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:27 pm

I got this cert when they were on v5 and believe me no magical doors opened by having it.  I think most employers said "oh that's nice" or cared more about my education then the cert itself.  I could see paying the above price if the material was better written.  It seems to me that you do stand to gain more by going to the training instead of self studying.  Most of the reviews I read when people took the course made it seem a lot less like l33t t00lz tutorial and more of a comprehensive review of an actual pen test.

All that being said, for another $200 you could get OCSP and be better off in the long run.  I'll probably take CHFI just to renew the CEH and please the HR people....
BS-CST Security+

Blog:  http://havewire.blogspot.com/
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:46 am

The CEH page has been updated recently to reflect the feelings of much of you. Let us know what you think:

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/35/3/

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
Next

Return to Security