Need help. I don't know where to start

<<

New to the game

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Need help. I don't know where to start

HI I'm new to this hacker thing and I'm still in school. My teacher has givin us a challenge and I would like to learn how to do this. She wants us to hack into her computer and get her password. I have a free downloaded port scanner but don't know how to do anything besides tell it to scan. Can anyone help my dump brain?
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:22 pm

Re: Need help. I don't know where to start

I find it very difficult to believe your teacher would give you such an assignment with no lesson or guidance to lead you into it.  Thus, I think your intentions are likely NOT ethical.  That said, I don't think you'll get much help, here.

In fact, let me issue you a challenge, myself.  If you're being legit, have your teacher post here, as proof of the assignment, and give us valid contact info to validate who he / she is.  Then, IF it's for real, maybe we'll consider helping you learn, by pointing you in the right direction.

However, I'm pretty skeptical of your request...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

New to the game

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Look I'm not a child and I'm in school for ITBT, if you know what that is. The problem is that we learn through reading and I can read all day long but don't ask me to put it to use without help the first time through. She thinks that we all understand this but won't listen when we say that we don't know how to put what have learned to good use. If you don't want to help then thats fine but don't judge me. You don't know me
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm not judging you.  If you're in for ITBT, more power to you.  And as I said, I'm skeptical, but will help, IF you step up and show us you're legit.

But:

A.) if you watch these, or any security forums, regularly, you'll see numerous students try to 'social engineer' us to help them hack school networks / teacher passwords.

B.) again, I find it very difficult to believe you'd be given an assignment to hack and be given little to NO help or direction.  I know few teachers, if any, who would throw you in deep, without first giving you something to work with.  If your teacher TRULY gave you an assignment like this, then they should realistically expect that you'll look outside for help, and be willing to help you by validating your effort.

C.) no offense, but coming with an attitude, rather than understanding what we say, and truly trying to clarify yourself, without attacking, gives us less reason to want to help.

I think you'll find ALL of us are willing to help you (looking over this site, you should see that,) but we also expect that you will work for it, yourself, too.  If this is something you want, you shouldn't be so quick to just say, "I have a port scanner, but I have no other ideas." 

Do some research, read through these forums.  Dig deep.  And again, we will help, but we expect two things:

1.) Honesty
2.) Willingness to work for it.

I wish you well.  Prove to me either A.) you're legit, by validating what I asked, or B.) at a minimum, come with more specific questions, to show you're not looking for handouts.

Good luck.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

New to the game

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:06 pm

Ok. Thanks, I will start digging.
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:28 pm

The teacher didn't give you anything at all? mm
OSCP in progress
<<

New to the game

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:23 pm

I have a network security book and thats it. She gives us way more credit than we deserve. OK so I have got the port scanner and if I double click on the open port 80 a command box opens and displays that it is connecting to that IP addresse but then disaperes. I know that I can view all IPs on the network using netstat -n. I don't however know how to know which Ip addresse is hers. I also know that -u is how you veiw a user passward but I can't even get that to work on my own computer due to the fact I don't know how to enter the command. The last couple months have gone by fast and linux,netstat,telcom, and everything else has all blured together. Do you have any guidence that may help me move farther.
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:28 pm

What is your operating system? What port scanner are you using?
<<

New to the game

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm running win xp. I have the free advanced port scanner v1.3
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Never heard of that one but it looks like they have a support forum for questions.
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:28 pm

@New to the game - Glad to see you're sticking with it.  I don't know that particular port scanner, either.  As cd1zz said, might be worth hitting their forums.

Again, per my earlier posts, I intend / to make you work and research a bit, as well you should, and encourage you to do so.

That said, I will offer two hints...

First, sniff the wire (aka - Wireshark or other sniffer.)  There might be something obvious (even a plain text password, perhaps) to help you along.  I don't know how serious this instructor is, or how they might be trying to get you to look for obvious things.

For port scanning / testing, my suggestion would be to research NMAP.  If this is real, and she's given you the green light to find and try to hack her, she should be fine with you running NMAP to poke around.  As you're so new to this realm, I'm going to suggest this, when I normally wouldn't (because you should learn the tool inside and out and understand it, not just have the ability to maneuver in the GUI,) but there are GUI's for NMAP, which might help you out, since you aren't versed in the command-line syntax of the tool.  (As well as giving you the proper options for 'safer' scans, that won't absolutely wreak havoc on your class network.)  NMAP might help you identify services running on the ports, and give you specific versions of those services - something you might need to know.

Now it's back to you.  Continue on, and if you find you have more questions (researched ones,) stop back and ask them!

Again, good luck.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

rattis

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm still trying to figure out:

1) why a Info Tech / Bio Tech (only ITBT type program I know of) student would need hacking skills.

2) why the person teaching the class would tell them to try and hack her.

3 (or 2a)) why said teacher would say that without teaching them the skills they need.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:51 pm

@chrisj - I concur.  That's why I've ONLY given what I've given, unless / until there's some validation provided...
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

millwalll

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:12 am

I agree its all a bit strange and if the teacher has given permission to do this does the school IT department know.

And I would hope that the Teacher would be advising students how to do this, to make sure they did not do port scan on the wrong IP or break any laws!
<<

New to the game

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:31 am

Ok let's me squash this non trust you all seem to have in me. She told me that if you want to check this out you can E-mail her and she will tell you herself. Her E-mail is Camilla.brasher@medvance.edu
Next

Return to Other