Computer Virus Hits the US Drone Fleet (the Predators)

<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Computer Virus Hits the US Drone Fleet (the Predators)

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/virus-hits-drone-fleet/

Just more proof that nobody is completely immune.  Time for some folks to step up and get it cleaned up...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Re: Computer Virus Hits the US Drone Fleet (the Predators)

Staggering.
<<

idr0p

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:19 pm

I bet you someone was checking there email on the OP computers.
GCIA GCIH GPEN GWAPT
Up Next: CISA CISSP
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:01 am

just goes to show how everything uses computers and can be a target.

lol checking there mail! I rekon it was facebook they were playing games on facebook
<<

SephStorm

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:21 am

It says the code was likely spread via USB.  Amazing... I sure as hell use a usb stick. IAC, Amazing that the public got all this information... Amazing that its taking so long to disinfect the machines....
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

Triban

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:29 am

They were trying to upload the code for Angry Birds into their drones to play a live action angry birds.  :D 

Or they saw the cool Wireless Network Scanning drone and figured why can't they have one too and found the "Free DIY Kit" online.

But seriously, I am finding that many folk are under the impression that just because they encrypt their USB drive, they are safe from all harm.  So if this did transfer, I bet it was on an encrypted drive that had actually never been properly cleaned when it got infected with malware at some point.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:43 am

They were trying to upload the code for Angry Birds into their drones to play a live action angry birds.   

:D  that made my morning lol
OSCP in progress
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:20 am

3xban wrote:They were trying to upload the code for Angry Birds into their drones to play a live action angry birds.  :D 

Bwahahaha!!!  Thanks 3xban!  That gave me a good wakeup laugh this morning!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Triban

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:22 am

And now the music is playing in my head as I see drones flying back and forth launching missles at pig targets.

Glad I gave a good laugh this morning, thank you and good night!  don't forget to tip your waitress!
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

JohnUofU

Post Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:20 pm

USB is probably the easiest way it could've been done.  Drop a USB in a parking lot, or near an employee area.  What would you do if you found a USB on the ground?  Plug it in and see what's on it so you can keep it or return it.  Employee finds it, plugs it in, and its over before he even knows what just happened.  There were rumors that that's how the US shutdown some foreign nuclear facilities.  It caused part of the machines to start and stop very abruptly, eventually breaking each piece and rendering the facility worthless.  (very large and expensive pieces. Im not a nuclear physicist, I don't know what they were) it wasn't traceable once in the system, not even noticeable really.  It appeared to be just faulty machinery.
Anyways, I have no proof to support it, just word of mouth.  Its a neat little hackers bed time story.  ;)

Return to Malware