lab realistic, report ?

<<

yoy33

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:44 am

lab realistic, report ?

Hello,

I’ll probably take the oscp course this month but i have few questions about it.
About the report, do we have to make a report about the box we could pwn in the lab, or we only have to make a report about the final exam ? (I’m a little bit scared about the report)

How the lab is realistic ? (Is there some fake data, mails… that are transmitted through the differents networks and box that we have to reach, so we might have to sniff the network to steal some credentials… ?)

Thanks for your answers.
OSCP
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:04 am

Re: lab realistic, report ?

Don't be scared by the report, it takes 5-10 minutes max per host compromised. You will get a template and an example, so it's not that hard. It follows this format:

- I found this vulnerability (title of your report)
- This vulnerability needs to be patched because...
- Here's how you can exploit this vulnerability
- I also found these things (open ports, other vulnerabilities)

And that's about it

You only have to write the report for the exam. However, if you are CISSP certificied for example and want 40 CPE, you either pass the exam or produce a report on your success in the lab.

The lab is very, very good. I don't want to spoil the fun, but let's say you can practice a very broad range of attacks. In addition, They have 4 different networks inter-connected.

Good luck!
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:01 pm

The lab is a ton of fun....
<<

Triban

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:44 pm

I so wanna take this course but trying to strengthen my skills in the coding area.  The description and hell even the exam make me want to take it.  You have 24 hours... GO! :-D  This damn profession has too many fun things to try and be good at!!
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

lorddicranius

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:07 pm

3xban wrote:I so wanna take this course but trying to strengthen my skills in the coding area.  The description and hell even the exam make me want to take it.  You have 24 hours... GO! :-D  This damn profession has too many fun things to try and be good at!!

I know, right??  This is exactly my problem at the moment: trying to figure out which area I want to dive into.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

impelse

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:54 pm

That's my main goal, I've been sharping my linux skills and later Python. The last month studying linux helped me a lot to understand the OS including fix some problems for two customers.

Ya, my strong part is Windows but the base OS to attack is Linux, so keep going, sometimes I begin to distract but a few hours later I come back to the right track
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

Triban

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:33 am

I too am primarily a Windows guy, at least from my beginnings.  Now I use a Windows system as my main home desktop, a Mac as my laptop and many VMs on both running linux.  I have yet to jump to the level of using my main desktop as linux only because I have so much crap on it that migrating will take some time which I don't have.  Then again I run VMware Workstation/Fusion, so I can always run Linux on the desktop in Fullscreen dual monitor mode and set it up accordingly. 

But I figured I will get some python knowledge, get an understanding of Assembly and also sharpen the Linux skills.  And in my spare time, learn how to analyze malware.  :D

Windows itself doesn't hold much interest for me, installing it is brain dead easy as well as installing apps.  Securing it has become push button friendly for the basics.  There is a bit more challenge in the server end, but again lots of point/click.  The advanced stuff is a bit more fun, but I rarely come across a client who will be utilizing some of the more advanced security features (GPOs for TPM enabled systems, full certificate based authentication and such). 

Its all a puzzle and that is what makes it fun. :D
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional