CCNA Advice

<<

T_Bone

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:19 am

Re: CCNA Advice

Hi Again

Has anyone on here ever done the CCNA via the Open University based in UK? http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergradu ... e/t216.htm.
<<

p0et

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Good tips here on the CCNA.  I might start self-study with this if I can't get someone to pay for a Mile2 course for me.  Sucks that there's no one around my city or neighboring cities that offer CCNA courses other than the 5 day bootcamp which requires prior experience and cisco knowledge.
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

Seen

Post Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Ok guys, I got the equipment from my friend in IT, here is what I have:

1 Cisco 1841 router with IOS 12.4
1 Cisco 2621XM router with IOS 12.3
1 Cisco 3524XL switch

What else do I need?  I was planning on having 3 routers and 3 switches, that should be enough to cover all CCNA topics right?  Neither of the routers have serial ports, so I need to buy WIC cards.  I read that I need 1 router with 2 serial ports, and the others can just have 1, so I guess that means 4 WIC cards if I have 3 routers.

Also, I read that the CCNA focuses on the 2950 switch, will I run into a problem if I use the 3524XL switch?  I think I'll buy 2 2950s off ebay would that be a good idea?

As far as the IOS goes, is it best if all the routers use the same version?  I was planning on putting 12.4T on the 1841, and I think the 2621 has enough memory for 12.4T.  The 2621 seems like a "clunker" compared to the 1841, but free is free.

Also I only received a console cable from my friend.  What other cables do I need and how many of each, assuming I have 3 routers and 3 switches, and 1 router has 2 serial ports and the others have 1?  Is there a better place than eBay to get the cables?

Also, I didn't get any rack brackets, so I need to buy some.  Again is there a better place than eBay to get them?  Here is the rack I'm planning on getting:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000CD1R84

Besides an extra router, 2 more switches, and the WIC serial cards is there anything else that would be useful?  Someone mentioned an Access Server, what's the benefit of using one of those?  I had planned on spending 300-400 on this lab, and I got this stuff for free, so I'm up for adding anything that people think will be useful.  I don't plan on continuing on to a CCNP, but I'll probably do the CCNA security at some point.

Thanks.
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

Haz3

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 am

I'm self studying the CCNA - are there any useful online resources anyone can recommend?

Any good experiences with sims?
CISA CISSP
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:49 am

Seen wrote:Ok guys, I got the equipment from my friend in IT, here is what I have:

1 Cisco 1841 router with IOS 12.4
1 Cisco 2621XM router with IOS 12.3
1 Cisco 3524XL switch

What else do I need? 

More than enough right there. This should cover you plenty.
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Haz3,

Welcome aboard! I would recommend Testout's LabSim CCNA Training. It's not a bad price and I found the training good. I purchased the Network+ and the MCITP: Configuring Server 2008 Network Infrastructure - 70-642. I got all the way through the Network+ material and was practicing on the Objective Exams towards the end when school caught up with me and I had to set it aside. I plan on picking it back up next year and continuing on with it. I think you would enjoy it, they have interactive labs, quizzes, notes, video material that will keep you busy for hours.
<<

Haz3

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:02 pm

xXxKrisxXx wrote:Hi Haz3,

Welcome aboard! I would recommend Testout's LabSim CCNA Training. It's not a bad price and I found the training good. I purchased the Network+ and the MCITP: Configuring Server 2008 Network Infrastructure - 70-642. I got all the way through the Network+ material and was practicing on the Objective Exams towards the end when school caught up with me and I had to set it aside. I plan on picking it back up next year and continuing on with it. I think you would enjoy it, they have interactive labs, quizzes, notes, video material that will keep you busy for hours.

Thanks for taking time to reply, I'll look into them  ;)
CISA CISSP
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:07 am

Hi no I have not done any courses with them but I do know people who done other courses with open university and they said it was fine.
<<

DelimitingCharacter

Post Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:48 pm

I am surprised to hear that the one exam route is easier. I always think if I end up not passing then I just wasted 300$ :(

Odom's books are super detailed... like chock full of things. I got both books for 40$ I think. 30% discount. Came with a simulator and a couple tests. At one point your just going to have to dive in and do it.

The other thing is I hear Cisco routinely changes the passing scores...? If too many people pass they raise the bar.

I have a 3550 (layer 3) and 1 2950 (layer 2). Also have a 1750 router. All three are flashed with the latest firmware to give things like SSH and whatnot.

Aaannndd...

their are other ways to find material... p2p networks is one. GNS3 with a IOS pack is another way... you can only simulate routers- HOWEVER you can in some IOS models make it a SWOUTER- which is a router with a 16 port switch blade. So you can do both.

CBT NUGGETS
Live Lessons

IMO do a video course, take notes and then read the book. Its much easier. Mr. Odom's book was easier to read after I understood the material in a video I had already watched.
A+, CCNA(ICND)
Previous

Return to Networking