CCNA Advice

<<

T_Bone

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:19 am

Re: CCNA Advice

Hi Again

Has anyone on here ever done the CCNA via the Open University based in UK? http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergradu ... e/t216.htm.
<<

p0et

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Good tips here on the CCNA.  I might start self-study with this if I can't get someone to pay for a Mile2 course for me.  Sucks that there's no one around my city or neighboring cities that offer CCNA courses other than the 5 day bootcamp which requires prior experience and cisco knowledge.
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

Seen

Post Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Ok guys, I got the equipment from my friend in IT, here is what I have:

1 Cisco 1841 router with IOS 12.4
1 Cisco 2621XM router with IOS 12.3
1 Cisco 3524XL switch

What else do I need?  I was planning on having 3 routers and 3 switches, that should be enough to cover all CCNA topics right?  Neither of the routers have serial ports, so I need to buy WIC cards.  I read that I need 1 router with 2 serial ports, and the others can just have 1, so I guess that means 4 WIC cards if I have 3 routers.

Also, I read that the CCNA focuses on the 2950 switch, will I run into a problem if I use the 3524XL switch?  I think I'll buy 2 2950s off ebay would that be a good idea?

As far as the IOS goes, is it best if all the routers use the same version?  I was planning on putting 12.4T on the 1841, and I think the 2621 has enough memory for 12.4T.  The 2621 seems like a "clunker" compared to the 1841, but free is free.

Also I only received a console cable from my friend.  What other cables do I need and how many of each, assuming I have 3 routers and 3 switches, and 1 router has 2 serial ports and the others have 1?  Is there a better place than eBay to get the cables?

Also, I didn't get any rack brackets, so I need to buy some.  Again is there a better place than eBay to get them?  Here is the rack I'm planning on getting:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000CD1R84

Besides an extra router, 2 more switches, and the WIC serial cards is there anything else that would be useful?  Someone mentioned an Access Server, what's the benefit of using one of those?  I had planned on spending 300-400 on this lab, and I got this stuff for free, so I'm up for adding anything that people think will be useful.  I don't plan on continuing on to a CCNP, but I'll probably do the CCNA security at some point.

Thanks.
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

Haz3

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 am

I'm self studying the CCNA - are there any useful online resources anyone can recommend?

Any good experiences with sims?
CISA CISSP
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:49 am

Seen wrote:Ok guys, I got the equipment from my friend in IT, here is what I have:

1 Cisco 1841 router with IOS 12.4
1 Cisco 2621XM router with IOS 12.3
1 Cisco 3524XL switch

What else do I need? 

More than enough right there. This should cover you plenty.
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Haz3,

Welcome aboard! I would recommend Testout's LabSim CCNA Training. It's not a bad price and I found the training good. I purchased the Network+ and the MCITP: Configuring Server 2008 Network Infrastructure - 70-642. I got all the way through the Network+ material and was practicing on the Objective Exams towards the end when school caught up with me and I had to set it aside. I plan on picking it back up next year and continuing on with it. I think you would enjoy it, they have interactive labs, quizzes, notes, video material that will keep you busy for hours.
<<

Haz3

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:02 pm

xXxKrisxXx wrote:Hi Haz3,

Welcome aboard! I would recommend Testout's LabSim CCNA Training. It's not a bad price and I found the training good. I purchased the Network+ and the MCITP: Configuring Server 2008 Network Infrastructure - 70-642. I got all the way through the Network+ material and was practicing on the Objective Exams towards the end when school caught up with me and I had to set it aside. I plan on picking it back up next year and continuing on with it. I think you would enjoy it, they have interactive labs, quizzes, notes, video material that will keep you busy for hours.

Thanks for taking time to reply, I'll look into them  ;)
CISA CISSP
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:07 am

Hi no I have not done any courses with them but I do know people who done other courses with open university and they said it was fine.
Previous

Return to Networking