Is windows xp sp4 still risky ?

<<

hack_newbie

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:32 am

Is windows xp sp4 still risky ?

Hi all.

I have done some research on my own but wasnt successful. i am just getting started with security stuff in terms of system hacking. I am a network engineer (cisco based) and have a good knowledge of networks and related protocols.

What currently interests me, is windows xp (with sp4 and other patches uptodate) is still exploitable. Can we still use pass the hash attack to exploit the machine ?

I know i should have tried it first but just wanted to get some feedback from you guys :-)

If i asked something stupid then please pardon me and correct me
<<

impelse

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:41 am

Re: Is windows xp sp4 still risky ?

The OS could be fully protected but what about the application that the computer has, those could be exploited like adobe, msql, mysql, etc, etc
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

hack_newbie

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:09 am

Yes that could be one way of doing it. But i just wanted to know about the OS itself, is it currently unexploitable ?
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:44 pm

There is no such thing as XP SP4.

XP SP3 has a EOL in April 2014 I believe. And yes, of course it is still vulnerable.
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:10 pm

I saw the mention of SP4, and more or less ignored this one.  If someone doesn't even know SP4 doesn't exist (or do the research to find out,) it's not worth the time to respond, IMHO.

Regarding that EOL, though, we ALL know there will still be plenty of attack surface, of XP, even after that date, as businesses just don't care, sometimes.  Good security posture would suggest staying on a current, patched OS, but I speak for many pentesters who know, for fact, that it's just not followed, religiously, if it's even in many companies' plans, at all.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Welcome to the power industry in the US where NT 4 is prevalent. Seriously.

Vendors who deploy XP are "cutting edge." Seriously :)

Don't get me started.
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:44 pm

<nod>  Trust me...  I agree AND fully understand.  I supported some 'power industry' clients a few years back.

Always amazed at the lack of forethought and security smarts, on all fronts.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:01 pm

It's a battle I fight daily. Power systems were developed for reliability and safety, not to be secure. Then this cool thing called Ethernet showed up that required no skill to configure....fast forward 20 years and now there's just alot more of it except the business people now want data from the control systems to make decisions..... No problem "just plug that in over there" LOL
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Add remote access and regulatory monitoring to that mix, followed, as you noted, by extreme lack of security planning on even a basic OS level, and you have your work cut out for you.  I feel your pain.  :-(
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

impelse

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:46 pm

Plus some customers said: "we are to small to be hacked or nobody is interested in out information" also "Too much security, we do not need it, relax the sucurity"
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

lorddicranius

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:52 pm

cd1zz wrote:Welcome to the power industry in the US where NT 4 is prevalent. Seriously.

The US Navy ship I separated from in 2006 was still using NT 4 as well.  They upgraded about a year later though, to Windows 2000.

impelse wrote:"we are to small to be hacked or nobody is interested in out information" also "Too much security, we do not need it, relax the sucurity"

I'm in this very situation at the moment.  It's quite frustrating to say the least.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

hack_newbie

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:05 am

I am very sorry. It wasnt a typo but i remembered sp3 as sp4, my bad. Sorry for my stupid mistake.

Basically what i wanted to ask is, with firewall enabled, and all the updates released so far XP, is pass the hash attack still successful. At my home pc, i tried using VMs but it didnt work. So is my pc secure OS wise in terms of pass the hash attack ? has anyone tried with all the patches installed ?

I am asking this to make sure i didnt made any mistake while doing the attack. Need your confirmation in this

My apologies again for sp4 confusion
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:00 am

Perhaps Google on "pass the hash xp sp3"  It yields a pretty decent set of results...

I know I've used it successfully, post-SP3.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

ziggy_567

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:44 am

"Pass-the-hash" has absolutely nothing to do with a patch.

It has to do with the way the password hash is stored locally on a machine. Even if you configure the system to store the hash in NTLMv2 but don't change the password, you are still vulnerable.

Patching is only a small part of securing a system...
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:49 am

@ziggy_567 - there are reasons I suggested Google to hack_newbie...  ;)
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
Next

Return to Ethical Hacktivism