More competition
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

WCNA

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Re: Securitytube Wireless Certification

hahaha. I did a search a few minutes ago to see if this was announced already here before I posted mine. You beat me as I was writing my post.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

impelse

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:18 pm

I was running so nobody will beat me
CCNA Security

<<

strana

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:36 am

Vivek, the creator of the Megaprimer, has started a really affordable certification course in wireless called - SecurityTube Wi-Fi Security Expert (SWSE).

I think this a great and currently at the promo price of $200 this is awesome! I just registered.

This includes:

- Lifetime access to the Students Portal
- Lifetime access to Bi-Monthly Webinars with Full Course Coverage and Live Doubt Clearing sessions
- Lifetime access to Q&A forums
- PDF copy of Slides, Cheat Sheets and 12+ hours of HD Videos
- Lifetime access to all future course updates
- Mock exams 2 weeks before the certification exam
- Final Certification exam
<<

impelse

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:42 am

When I saw the video I like the idea, watch the full videos and decide if you really want to do it and later sign up.

I've been watching the videos and they are good, I bought my own wireless network to test and open me the mind. Every time I connect to a network I thought am I connecting to a rough access point? Specially when my phone does.
CCNA Security

<<

vivek.ramachandran

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks for posting this here my friends!

Yes, I did not want anything "hidden" from people who are paying money and if the certification is of no use to you and you only want to watch the videos to learn security and hacking, please do so by all means :)

Also, SecurityTube's vision of providing free education will never be compromised! Releasing the certifications just help us churn out fresh and better content faster on the site as well. I am hoping, these certifications will have the same affect on SecurityTube, as Rapid7 did on Metasploit :) we get funded and can devote full time to the community!

The next series will be Metasploit Megaprimer Season 2 :) with module programming, meterpreter scripting etc.

Comments, feedback, criticism, suggestions ... most welcome!

Vivek
<<

impelse

Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:13 am

Those are great news.
CCNA Security

<<

alucian

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi,

I admint that I didn't see all the wifi videos in the website.

My question is how is this cert different from the OSWP? I already did OSWP, and I would like to see more than WEP and WPA. I want to see some bluetooth, something about mobile phones...
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

impelse

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:38 pm

I think just to learn more of wap and blue touth is an advantage
CCNA Security

<<

WCNA

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:03 pm

I think WAP and Bluetooth are a whole ball of wax on their own. You can find some info in Hacking Exposed- Wireless and there are a few sites that deal mostly with mobile phone security. Other than it being cheaper than OSWP, I don't think it will be very much different (comparing the syllabuses).

Alucian, if you have watched the MEGAPRIMER, can you tell us if all the attacks used were in the OSWP course?
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

vivek.ramachandran

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:08 pm

alucian wrote:Hi,

I admint that I didn't see all the wifi videos in the website.

My question is how is this cert different from the OSWP? I already did OSWP, and I would like to see more than WEP and WPA. I want to see some bluetooth, something about mobile phones...

I don't think I can or should comment on any other course. I am sure each of them, including ours, has their own strengths and weaknesses.

This is why we have made out entire core courseware open. I would recommend that you have a look at the list of videos here, sample a couple of them and compare / contrast with others:

http://www.securitytube.net/groups?oper ... &groupId=9

If you are more of book guy, you could have a look at my book, but the videos are more elaborate:

http://www.amazon.com/BackTrack-Wireles ... 849515581/

Along with this - you will have additional lab exercises, webinars for course revision and doubt clearing, Q&A forums to post questions which the instructor will answer, mock exams to try out and finally the certification exam itself which will be a fully practical exercise of live hacking! In my mind for $200 currently or $250 this is a steal :) (shameless self promotion alert!!)

----

Regarding, inclusion of Bluetooth etc. Currently the certification is just for Wi-Fi and it specifically declares that as well - SecurityTube Wi-Fi Security Expert. We are not positioning this as a general "wireless security" certification as the scope is too broad - Bluetooth, GSM, CDMA etc.

We may at a later stage choose to have separate certifications for them but I am not sure currently when that would happen.
<<

alucian

Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Thank you for the answer.
Congrats for the book, I didn't know you have one.

About the study methods, I like the books but I prefer the practical certs. Unfortunately there are not enough practical certs. Yes, the offsec ones, eLearnsecurity, and few others, but the rest are just books.

I would love to see certs that cover the same curricula like SANS, for example, but the exam to be hands on only. It is possible: forensic, incident handling... Maybe not online, but it is possible.

Congrats Vivek for the cert. I followed some of your Metasploit videos and I really liked them. Because I have done OSWP I will skip the wifi cert, but when you'll have another one put me on the list.

Until then I hope that I will finish GWAPT and OSCP, at least :)

PS Maybe someone starts a new topic with a practical course/cert they will like to take/pass (at a decent price), and some of the senior members will come with a solution. As an example Vivek has wireless and maybe Metasploit; Jason and Ryan can create one where they’ll test your scripting skills. Maybe will not be very appreciated by the HR, but we will appreciate the ones certified. Also, when someone will be in a hiring position will be able to differentiate between two candidates.

I am doing certs for few reasons:
1. You learn something
2. I am lazy and I need a deadline in order to motivate me to work harder
2. They are good in the resume. The HR people and the pimps (recruiters) love them
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

vivek.ramachandran

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks!

Glad you like the Metasploit videos. Btw, stay tuned for next week - I am launching Season 2 ;) The framework has changed so much that I am forced the revise the entire series of video.

But this time I will also add - scripting, module programming .. and even a little ruby primer to get non programmers started. This will lead to the SecurityTube Metasploit Framework Expert (SMFE) certification which I will launch end of this month once the entire video series is online.

With the SMFE we will also have an option for live lab access which will house a variety of OSs such as windows, unix, linuxes, solaris .... and routers, vpn boxes etc.

Of course, in true SecurityTube style, the core courseware which will be 12 - 16 hours of HD videos will be free for the community :) Only people who'd like a certification will need to pay.

If you'd like anything specific in this course do let me know, I still have time to incorporate suggestions before the release.
<<

impelse

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:40 am

Vivek:

You read my mind, I was thinking some training to specialice in one topic very deep. Yes, you can see CEH, CPTE and others that they cover a lot of domains (subjects), that's only a general view and you feel overwhelme with a lot of the information.

Focus in one topic that it is building up is good.
CCNA Security

<<

vivek.ramachandran

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 pm

Exactly! and personally I believe its a better idea to first tackle one topic like Wi-Fi or Metasploit in as much detail as possible before moving to another.

The side effect is my video series on any topic is at least 12+ hours of HD content but to be honest, I would not feel I am doing justice to the course or to my students in the class, if I provided them anything lesser.
Next

Return to Wireless