Hello from France

<<

n3r

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:40 am

Hello from France

Hello everyone, i'm a student from France. I'm studying and working in the network administration for an insurance company.

After that i would like to go for an ethical hacking formation but there is not a lot of school in France so i'm here in order to have some advices. I have seen online formation, is it a good option for testing, training and learning Ethical hacking ?

I would like to learn as much as possible in my free time so i have ordered Gray Hat Hacking book, i guess it's a good introduction to this world.

For programming i have to say that i do not know a lot of things, i've learnt C and was thinking about going to Python or Perl.

Thank you for your help ! i know have a lot of question but maybe i could answer some in the futur.
Thank you for your website, nothing to compare with french one's !  ;)

n3r
<<

TheXero

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Hello from France

Welcome to EH-net n3r :)

As you may / not know but english is the most spoken language in the world.

In terms of ethical hacking, I have only ever done online courses including pwb and WiFu from Offensive Security and they have been both great experiences.

Pwb is the flagship course from OffSec and is truely an amazing course that really only teaches the concepts then seeminglessly end amounts of additional research and try and error is required to progress some more.

Learning python would be quite an advantage if you go for the pwb /oscp course as it is required throughout the course in various scripting and exploit development.

~TheXero
<<

n3r

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:43 am

Hi, thanks for your answer !

I'll check the online course from Offensive Security. I already use Backtrack but didn't think about the courses.

For Python i was thinking about the book Gray Hat Python in addition ton free online ressource.
<<

n3r

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:13 am

by the way, i have to go for OCSP before or after CEH ?
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:47 am

Whichever order you prefer.  Just make sure you 'study' for both.  There are topics in each, that are not covered in the other.  Most of CEH is book / memorization type stuff.  OSCP has a lot of needed research, but is far more based on 'hands on application of knowledge.'
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

n3r

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:34 am

thanks !
I don't want to go for CEH and OCSP at the same time, just wanted to know if one is more "advanced" than the other.

if it doesn't matter i'll go for OCSP first i guess  :)
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:13 am

OSCP is going to be harder. CEH is a book/exam, OSCP is a hands on real lab that consumes your life :)
<<

TheXero

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:51 am

I don't mean to scare you n3r, but OSCP requires alot of dedication and it's a very challenging course and straight 24 hour exam.

I don't have CEH but like the others have said, its a book and multi question exam whereas OSCP actually requires you to learn things and use lots of creative thinking.
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Agreed with cd1zz and TheXero...  Understand that I was only giving you the gist.  As for difficulty, OSCP is much rougher, so if you're not prepared, you'd definitely be better served doing CEH, first.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

n3r

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:07 am

Ok thanks !
What are the prerequisites for the OCSP ? As i work and study in Network Administration i understand networking, TCP/IP, C language, i work on Windows XP to 7, Windows Server, Linux.
Maybe you can tell me what should i learn before going for this course ?

Right now i'm reading Gray Hat Hacking in order to have an introduction to Ethical Hacking.
<<

TheXero

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:51 am

From what you put their n3r, only thing you need to make sure you have is determination but the prerequisites for the course are on their site so best answer would be there :)

Have a look at 'Hacking: The Art of Exploitation' I found that my experience developing a few exploits before I started the course helped me alot in the course by not wasting weeks and weeks on the exploit development modules.
<<

n3r

Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm going to order art of exploitation but before I would like to know if a third edition is going to be printed. The second one was in 2008 and it's a bit old.

n3r
<<

Solinus

Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:58 am

Well, 2008 is not too bad for the information it contains. Only recently did CEH change to include newer OS's. The data still flows from a to b in the same way it did then. Older is not always useless. As the others have said, the OSCP is a more advanced type of exam. You may be better served to aim for some lower level exams that can really help with the terminology and the philosophy of what we do. The foundation is all-critical in most areas, even more so in Ethical Hacking or PenTesting. There is much more riding on it then whether or not a user can print to a shared printer, but the network is still the network. You need a very unique point of view about it to really enjoy and excel in the securuty field.
Lots of great resources out there, just be sure not to jump so fast that you are not prepared for the landing.
Kerry
MCITP:EA | MCTS(x5) | MCSA+ | MCSE+ | Security + | CCNA | WCSP |
DSCE | PCT |CIW Security Analyst | CSSA

Return to Greetings