Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:13 pm

[Article]-Book Review: The IDA Pro Book 2nd Ed

Ryan Linn did the book review of the first edition, so it's only right to throw it at him again. Thanks for taking the assignment. As such, this review is much shorter than our normal reviews. Enjoy.

Permanent link: [Article]-Book Review: The IDA Pro Book 2nd Ed

Review by Ryan Linn, CISSP, MCSE, GPEN

It seems like yesterday that I was reviewing Chris Eagle's book, but in reality it's been 3 years.  So when I had an opportunity to review The IDA Pro Book: The Unofficial Guide To The Worlds Most Popular Disassembler, 2nd Edition, I looked forward to seeing what had changed. And thus a change in the normal extensive EH-Net book review is in order and brevity is the word of the day.

A few things haven’t changed since my last review.  I am still not a reverse engineer, although I occasionally use the tools clumsily for Capture The Flag (CTF) exercises.  I’m not a professional programmer, although I can program and do so frequently.  Although this isn’t material that I suspect I will master in the near future, this is material in which I have an interest.  If you have basic programming skills, an interest in learning, and are willing to sit down and spend time with this material, you will definitely benefit from this book.

After the break, look for a link to a free download of Chapter 24: "The IDA Debugger."

Let us know what you think,