Quick handcuff picking...

<<

rance

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:40 am

Quick handcuff picking...

I know there's still 11 months to go `til the next one, but after my first Defcon, I'm gearing up to participate in more contests next year - gringo jail is on the radar.

Handcuffs were part of the contest this year, being "jail", I assume that challenge exists yearly... so, need to practice!  Went out last friday and bought a few pairs and have been practicing.  Quick little demo movie I made on a pair of ASP double-lock (slide style) cuffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEhv88i85q4

Happy to answer any questions...
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

rattis

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Re: Quick handcuff picking...

I'll see your picked cuff, and raise you a shimmed Smith and Wesson hinged handcuff. I've done it much faster since. Less than a minute at the last Ann Arbor Locksport (a chapter of TOOOL) meeting.

http://youtu.be/KiU52hvgeys
OSWP, Sec+
<<

caissyd

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:18 pm

I did it to at Defcon  ;D You can tell they aren't made to stop a "skilled" individual.

I wonder which handcuff is the hardest to lockpick...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

rance

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:26 pm

chrisj wrote:I'll see your picked cuff, and raise you a shimmed Smith and Wesson hinged handcuff. I've done it much faster since. Less than a minute at the last Ann Arbor Locksport (a chapter of TOOOL) meeting.

http://youtu.be/KiU52hvgeys

Nice... although if the double lock had been engaged, I think your shim option is out the window.  I've yet to work the hinged cuffs in the keyhole-up position, but I don't see how you could possibly get a pick in there with the constrained movement.  Your only hope would be a shim and the hopes that whomever slapped those on you forgot to double lock you.

Of course, if you WERE double locked, I'd like to know your secret...
<<

rance

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:30 pm

H1t M0nk3y wrote:I did it to at Defcon  ;D You can tell they aren't made to stop a "skilled" individual.

I wonder which handcuff is the hardest to lockpick...

Seems like they all use the same key, so from a pickability standpoint, I think they are probably all the same. I have found the ASP slide style double lock cuffs are easier than the other two pairs I have that use a straight pin that use a double lock.  With the ASPs, you only need to run the key one way, and it'll pop the lock pin, then catch the ratchet.  Easier move than having to go one direction to pop the pin, then swing around the other direction to catch the ratchet.

I think hinged, key-hole facing up, double locked would be the worst scenario.
<<

caissyd

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:16 pm

I think hinged, key-hole facing up, double locked would be the worst scenario.

Therefore I can get out of any handcuff !  ;D
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

rattis

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Don't think we've done the double lock on those yet. Most cops don't double lock though. At least that's what my buddies on Detroit SRT (SWAT) tell me. If you get bruised up, they say you were resisting arrest.

I've been told if you hit the double lock ones hard enough, it'll un-double lock one. I have a set of HPC out in the car, where that doesn't work though.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

rance

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:54 pm

chrisj wrote:Most cops don't double lock though.

Interesting.  Well, if you ARE ever arrested, make sure to ask the officer to assure the cuffs are double locked... purple hands are not cool.  This is of course assuming you don't plan to pick your way to a felony.  ::)

Return to Physical Security