Ubuntu menu help

<<

millwalll

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:22 am

Ubuntu menu help

Hi all,

I am using Ubuntu and the plan is to have a nice menu like the one in BT5 so I know exactly what tools I have to play with and as I get more experience I can add more Tools.

so i done most of the ground work and created the menu but having trouble making all the tools work.

I looked at BT5 and they get the script to run using

Code:
sh -c "cd /pentest/enumeration/dns/dnsenum/ && ./dnsenum.pl ;sudo -s"

I have tried this but it does not work so I asked on the Ubuntu forms and they recommended to do it this way.

Code:
gnome-terminal --working-directory=/pentest/enumeration/dns/dnsenum/ -x perl dnsenum.pl && sudo -i

This worked for some of the script but other seem to not want to work and just close the terminal.

Does anyone have know a easy way to do this ??

* and before anyone says use BT I would love to as it make my life easy. But the company I work for don't like anyone using it. They perter you download install all tools yourself. *

thanks in advance
<<

tturner

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:25 am

Re: Ubuntu menu help

I tend to prefer using .sh scripts. I call the script in the menu, that way if it's embedded in several places I only have to modify the scripts in one place. Backtrack is a really great example of why I hate doing it the BT way. Take sqlmap for instance, you can find it in about 15 or so different places in the menu structure. It's one of my pet peeves about BT and one thing I really like about Samurai WTF. For example:

Menu entry:

Code:
/home/[username]/tools/burpsuite.sh

actual script in tools directory:

Code:
#! /bin/bash
cd /usr/bin/tools/burpsuite
java -Xmx512m -jar burpsuite_pro_v1.4.01.jar

Personally for CLI based tools (like sqlmap) I don't bother using or creating shortcuts in the menu at all. I just run them from the CLI the way God intended.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org

Return to Tools