[Article]-An American Hacker in London: Course Review of CSTA by 7Safe

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:34 am

[Article]-An American Hacker in London: Course Review of CSTA by 7Safe

It's been a while since I penned an article myself. So when I was asked to do a review of the new CSTA and I would have to fly to the UK, well I guess my arm didn't have to be twisted too much. As I often do, the article is peppered with a little more than just a straight review and it is pretty extensive. Hope you enjoy it. As always, let us know what you think and if you have any additional questions.

Permanent link: [Article]-An American Hacker in London: Course Review of CSTA by 7Safe

As most of you know, I do not have a college degree. I’m not alone… Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Richard Branson and countless others have had great success without this particular piece of paper. A common question in The Ethical Hacker Network Community Forums is if someone should get a degree, gain experience or achieve certifications to which I quickly respond by saying, “Yes!” All make for a better resume. Unfortunately, I only have 2 out of 3. In addition to sounding hypocritical, there are plenty of other reasons why I get that nagging feeling that I should get my degree: what if this online magazine thing goes caput, what if I ever want to teach, or, the most pressing item at this point in my life, am I setting a good example for my kids? But even if I do want to pursue a degree, how do I find the time? An undergrad degree is no longer good enough, and that adds even more time and effort to reach for a masters. So as always, I’ll put it on the back burner and let those voices continue in my head…

“You’ve got to kill yourself, Don, before it’s too late.”
“Why are you doing this to me?”
“I’m cursed to walk the Earth as the undead until the bloodline is severed. You have to get a degree, Don, or you’ll make others like me.”

This American hacker recently had the opportunity to travel to the UK to attend the launch of the latest update (version 5) of the Certified Security Testing Associate (CSTA) ethical hacking certification course by 7Safe. When looking at their website, every page of every course shows the MSc logo and the credits to be earned towards a Master’s Degree in Computer Security & Forensics… that nagging corpse of an idea kept reappearing telling me, “Don… get your degree or people will die!” OK, so I’m not a werewolf from the classic horror film that inspired Thriller, and I’m not spawning a group of undead. It just seems as though every time someone asks me about a college degree, I feel like a new undead idea roams the netherworld of my brain. Will I forever be cursed with these visions?

So what’s the deal with this course, the certification and why should I consider this one over what seems to be a never ending choice of new security training providers? How does it compare with similar courses in areas of content, price, availability and acceptance in the industry? And what’s all the talk of college degrees? Get all the details after the break.

It felt good to write again. So much so, that I've asigned myself another course review for Sept. Stay tuned,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

tturner

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: [Article]-An American Hacker in London: Course Review of CSTA by 7Safe

Nice review Don. I'm doing CSTA in October with Fishnet (courtesy of one of the EH.net contests) and really looking forward to it!
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

rattis

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Haven't gotten to the review yet, but I know how you feel on the degree thing. I have 2 associate degrees (Anthropology and CIS), a couple of certs, and experience. But feel like I'm not doing it right without the 4 year degree. Although steps have been taken.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

charliemong

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:00 am

Hi Don,

Loved the article was a very enjoyable read. I seam to remember posting some questions about these guys and no body seemed to have a clue. Am glad someone who is worth their salt (Knows there $h!t) thinks this is a good newbie course. Would you say this would give you a good ground level knowledge base to attempt the OSCP??

Thats again for a good read dude.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
- Sun Tzu

Return to Editor-In-Chief