Hello

<<

dropper

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Hello

Hi,

I started reading EHnet about three years ago when I first started getting interested in infosec.  The article was on brute-forcing Microsoft RDP services.  Since then, I have consistently read the articles here as they come up as well as a lot of the advice on the forums.  I guess I just never joined because I have been too busy.  

I like to spend my extra time re-writing tools from scratch.  Recently, I have become interested in getting involved with the community.  I am fluent in PHP, Javascript, Python, and BASH.  I've been using a variety of Linux distributions since Ubuntu 6.06 came out.  I look forward to contributing to the community and hopefully learning some new stuff.

-dropper
Last edited by dropper on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Re: Hello

Thanks and I look forward to your contributions.

If you don't mind sharing, what is your current job title and where do you hope to be in 5 years?

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

dropper

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 pm

Sure,

Right now I am a student.  I am currently interviewing with several companies for internships as a developer.  I hope to get into the security field, but most of the companies in my area really want someone to work with them for at least several years before they are willing to consider them for a security position.    In five years I hope to have my Masters in CS and have a leg in on the pentesting field. 

-dropper
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Welcome, dropper!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Welcome dropper!

Feel free to ask any questions you want. Someone will be able to help you for sure.
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:25 am

Welcome aboard.

If I were you, I'd try to get at least 2-3 years of experience as a (web, I assume) developer before trying to get into penetration testing. Pen testing really draws on a lot of previous experience and deep understanding of systems, networks, and/or applications. I think the "lucky" individuals who skip working in administration, engineering, development, etc. roles and get right into security actually put themselves at a disadvantage and really struggle to make up for that gap in knowledge.

You should definitely pursue a masters because that always looks good, but I wouldn't expect that to make an enormous difference in terms of obtaining a penetration testing position. I can't recall any advertised position asking for more than a four-year degree, and myself and many others I know had these types of positions while not possessing any degrees at the time. From what I've seen, experience is typically the most important factor. Pepper in a few certs to compliment your four-year degree, and I think you'd be in pretty good shape after getting a couple of years of work experience.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.

Return to Greetings