Need suggestions on InfosecInstitute online training vs boot camp style

<<

blueaxis

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:02 am

Need suggestions on InfosecInstitute online training vs boot camp style

Hello All,

Anybody with first hand info please help me decide which one would be better. From cost standpoint I think the online one is cheper but in terms of asking questions and getting clarifications boot camp appears more sense. Ultimately my goal is to understand the concepts and apply them on the field.

Thanks in advance.
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:04 am

Re: Need suggestions on InfosecInstitute online training vs boot camp style

Are you asking generally online vs live training or are you referring to a specific course offered by InfoSec Institute?

I took some time ago the online version of their Ethical Hacking course - you can find my review here.

Although I've written in the review that I'd recommend the live training of the very same course, I think if one has already some experience in this field, it shouldn't be a problem to go with the online version. Only if you are new to this area, you might benefit more from the live class, since - as you already stated - asking questions is much easier.
Last edited by UNIX on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

blueaxis

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:51 am

Thank you sir! I was more intereseted in the infosec's 10-day pen testing course. They are offering it both in-class and on-line.
Last edited by blueaxis on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:18 pm

I'm not through their Advanced Ethical Hacking course yet (Ethical Hacking course + Advanced Ethical Hacking course = Penetration Testing course), so I can't fully comment on it yet. Could you provide some background information about yourself, like skill level and topics you are familiar with?
<<

SephStorm

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi!

I took ISI's Online Ethical Hacking course. I do want to say right up front, that from what I have been told, and have guessed, I would not jump right into the 10day course without previous experience. Specifically, you need to be comfortable with linux, scripting and programming.

Now that that is out of the way, I'm fairly certain I offered a review of the online EH course, feel free to look at my topic history, where you might find the link.  I agree with awesec, it depends on your experience level, and perhaps more importantly, your time constraints and discipline. If you have the time and can force yourself to sit and listen to the presentations, read the book, then do the labs, it should only be mildly challenging, and certainly exhilarating. I however, would seriously consider taking the ground course, if I could.

Ultimately what has prevented me from taking their ground courses is the additional costs of transportation and lodging. Especially for a 10 day course, the hotel costs could kill you.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

blueaxis

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:55 pm

My apologies - couldn't respond earlier.

Basically I am an infosec consultant with CISSP type knowledge level. My expeience so far has been mostly on the defensive side rather than offensive. I just want to gain more exposure and hands-on at deeper level on pen testing, malware analysis, and forensics.

I understand what shell code is but can't write one or interpret a shell code easily. I was hoping these classes will expose me to the tools and techniques to bridge that gap.

Feel free to chip in your thoughts.

Return to Career Central