Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide Vs Metasploit Unleashed/Megaprimer

<<

T_Bone

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:11 am

Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide Vs Metasploit Unleashed/Megaprimer

Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone has purchased the "Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide?" If so, how much more depth does the book have in comparison to the freely available "Metasploit Unleashed" guide and the "Metaspploit Megaprimer" videos by Vivek?
<<

T_Bone

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:17 am

Re: Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide Vs Metasploit Unleashed/Megaprimer

Ok, it looks like I was a little to eager to post as Don mentioned in the post below that Haddix will be doing an official review!  :)

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... ic,7488.0/
<<

pseud0

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:25 am

Re: Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide Vs Metasploit Unleashed/Megaprimer

I bought it so I'll throw in my 2 pesos.  Please do not consider this a full review as I bought it in the airport (kindle version on the maxiPad) to have something to skim while I flew to DefCon.  I definitely did not do a full, detailed examination.

Book vs. the free stuff: Approximately the first half follows very closely to the free materials.  It seems to go just a little bit deeper, or in a slightly different direction, here and there but nothing major.  It wouldn't be anything you couldn't put together with popular free material plus a few forum searches.  However, it seems like the second half of the book goes more in depth into the materials around expanding the framework, SET, rolling your own stuff, some pen test methodology, etc.  

Is it worth it?: That's completely up to you.  To me it was worth every dime because I expensed it to my lab budget.  Joking aside, I'm glad I have it as it is a handy little reference guide that I can carry with me.  Plus, I feel that the authors (rel1k, muts, et al) have already given so much to the community that I have no heartburn what so ever with them making a few dimes off of my purchase.  If I was on a tight (or no) budget I'd probably take a pass on this, but when I'm in the position that I need an orderly, portable into to the material when I'm training up a new staff member this book would be on the top of the list.
CISSP, CISM, CISA, GCIH, GREM, CEH, HMFIC, KTHXBIROFLCOPTER
<<

alucian

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:28 am

I really like the book.
I would suggest buying the printed version, because you might want to come back and repeat some stuff.

I definitely recommend it to anyone, from beginner to intermediate in Metasploit.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

T_Bone

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:27 pm

The book is now on its way :)
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:26 pm

pseud0 wrote: Plus, I feel that the authors (rel1k, muts, et al) have already given so much to the community that I have no heartburn what so ever with them making a few dimes off of my purchase.  

Exact reason to buy it
<<

triznut

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:34 am

You will not regret getting this book.
MCITP:SA, LPIC-L1, CWNA, SEC+, C|EH , C|PTE
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:38 am

I both the book and then I found out about the megaprimer. The book is definitely worth it but having actual videos out there that show you what to do step by step..awesome stuff. I would suggest buying the book and also using megaprimer for real life examples.
OSCP in progress
<<

millwalll

Post Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:56 am

I am about half way thought the book and I think its good to have as handy guide just in case you cant remember something. I do still think the video on security tube are the best I also know there are more to come or are going to be updated.
<<

hurtl0cker

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:02 am

The book is perfect!! even though most of the content has been covered in "Metasploit Unleashed", it definitely worth the price.

Vivek's Metasploit mega primer is still awesome, waiting for his second series on Metasploit.

In addition, video series on Armitage & Metasploit by Raphael Mudge is really awesome, The quality of the content is very good.
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/379/2/
Last edited by hurtl0cker on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough: we must do.”
- Bruce Lee
<<

T_Bone

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:13 am

So I received the book and have been looking through it. I intend to have a good read through it this weekend.

I have to say from a quick glance, it looks pretty good as it has a methodology of how to perform a network pen test.  Its not in depth but certainly think that it would be good for a an internal penetration test or to use as part of an internal penetration test methodology.
<<

impelse

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:17 am

Yep, it is a good book, I learnt a lot.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

Return to Other