Your opinion: Best intro pentesting training?

<<

SephStorm

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:26 pm

Your opinion: Best intro pentesting training?

So I was thinking today (A shock, I know.), and I was wondering if everyone wouldnt mind giving their opinion, I know this may be difficult, but I would like to hear opinions on everyone's favorite training for into level pentesters. What company provides the best training an why is theirs the best.

Is it ELearnSecurity, with its well regarded Web App pentesting section? Is it Hacking Dojo, with its hacking Kung-Fu? Or is it a traditional offering, the CEH offered by EC-Council. Perhaps The Hacker Academy with its mindset of a Hacker training

Again, I know this could be contentious, but this can only help those who come looking for our advice.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:19 pm

Re: Your opinion: Best intro pentesting training?

SephStorm,

Ive been researching the past month on the exact question. I was leaning toward the elearning training (student and pro)..but then I thought the student might be to basic. So then I thought about doing hacking dojo or hackers academy for a month or two, then try for the eCPPT. Im leaning toward hacker academy because you can go to whatever section you want, hacking dojo makes you pass certain areas before you can move on to bigger and better topics. Plus hacker academy is 97/month and hacking dojo is 150ish/month. From what I have read, I dont believe hacking dojo is worth 50 dollars more a month. But thats just me.
OSCP in progress
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:25 pm

Its actually a common question that gets a number of different threads here. My vote is Offensive Security.
<<

lorddicranius

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:11 am

I've actually hopped around between 3 of those you mentioned: The Hacker Academy, Hacking Dojo, and I'm still learning at eLearnSecurity.  I detailed some of my thoughts between The Hacker Academy and Hacking Dojo here.  I've since left the Hacking Dojo as well.  Lack of student interaction/participation and the change-up in the instructing I'd say were the 2 biggest factors for me.

I enrolled in eLearnSecurity's Student and Pro courses a couple months ago.  The Student course is really basic.  It really is aimed at the beginner, laying the foundation and giving them the skills to move into the Pro course level material.  Networking basics, cookies and sessions...intro to Nmap, Nessus, Burp Suite.  If you have any experience in those, I'd say you'll do fine jumping into the Pro course (I enrolled in the Student course just to be on the safe side - I'm the type of person that'll rehash the same [basic] topics if I can just learn one more thing hehe).  The Pro course is split up into 3 sections: system security, networking security, and web app security.  My interest in the past has been in networking, so I went through that first.  Picked up some new knowledge, but still went through it pretty quick.  The system security section contains system coding, which I have NO experience in and have had a hard time picking it up on my own, so I opted to go through the web app security section first.  The web app security section is quite thorough IMO.  My past experiences and training have taught me about web servers, etc, but nothing about attacks.  Aside from the material itself, the support is great.  It's all done via a discussion forum that's quite active.  The instructors and students jump on questions rather quickly, which is awesome.

I can't speak for any other organized training, including EC-Council.

From my experience so far and given how I learn, etc, I'd say eLearnSecurity has benefit me the most (and I'm not even through all the material, which makes me very excited.  I love learning...).
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

SephStorm

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:04 am

I like the replies so far, keep them coming. :)

The ELS Coding sections are exactly where my concerns lie. The free module I believe is ppart of the WAP section and at some point going through it it went way over my hear, I'm not sure if it was buffer overflows or CXS or something, something related to coding or programming, and at that point I wondered what their lead in to the concepts were. While I have been told a few times that programming knowledge is not required, it seems as though some understanding of the concepts is, and I didnt get that during the preview.

My one concern with THA is whether there is a clear roadmap of the lessons, what order they should be done in, etc.
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:06 pm

You would say the OSCP for your first pentesting course? Do you think someone should take a lower course first, or go straight into the OSCP?
OSCP in progress
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Sure, for some. It was my first "course" but it obviously depends on your background.
<<

SephStorm

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:44 pm

lol its funny, I said FTR, and bought a subscription to THA today. i'm think im through the first through lessons so far, enjoying it. I did better than I expected on part of the mindset of the hacker. I was... scared when I saw some of the number questions, but I managed to stay in there and try them. I did okay. :)
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:53 pm

I join THA today too  ;D. So far I like it but I really gone through that much. Ill keep everyone updated.
OSCP in progress

Return to Network Pen Testing