Career Academy all-access vs. TechnologyCerts.com

<<

Tancred

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 am

Career Academy all-access vs. TechnologyCerts.com

Has anyone else gone after Career Academy's all-access pass?  I've heard good things about their training overall and I've been considering the pass because it covers so much different ground over a 12-month access period.  It's about $2k, so it's expensive, but it gives online access to pretty much everything they offer, which is neat.

In a 12-month period, I'm pretty much guaranteed not to use ALL of the different access (there are like 40 different things on there) but I'd end up using at least 5 or 6 of them (which would individually cost more than the whole thing), so it seems like a good move financially if I were to use their stuff. 

TechnologyCerts is way cheaper, but I don't know a lot about the quality of the training compared to the CA stuff.

Thoughts/comments? 
<<

Tancred

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:00 pm

Re: Career Academy all-access vs. TechnologyCerts.com

I should add, as far as comparison, I'm less interested in what will help me pass the test so much as which set will help me learn the material more.  For $135 or whatever the software is for each of the TechCerts things are, I'm imaging the CA stuff is likely to stack up better in that respect, yes?

I'm willing to shell out the extra money if it means I get a better learning experience. 
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Hi Tancred,

What is your goal? What are you trying to achieve?
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

Tancred

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:17 pm

I don't have any relevant experience beyond some work solving your typical tech problems at people's home and tutoring people in basic computer usage.  My skills extend beyond that, but only so far.  I want to eventually get into computer security, but I clearly don't have the knowledge or experience I need to do that. 

Short-term, I want to be able to get an entry-level job in something IT-related in January while I work towards personal development in the area. 

Anyway, I want to do more than just pass the test, you know?  I'm going to do just that with Sec+ in a couple of weeks because it's kind of basic, but I want to learn more.  $2k seems really attractive because the alternatives are usually 2x as expensive or more if you want to go way in-depth and I'm better off with self-study anyhow.

I'm running a one-coffee day, but does the above make sense? 
<<

Tancred

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:11 am

Just for the sake of being thorough, I should add that PrepLogic has something similar to the Career Academy all-access pass, only it's two years of access instead of just one. 

Return to General Certification