CISSP or GSEC what would be the best certification to acquire first?

<<

raptorsl

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:28 am

CISSP or GSEC what would be the best certification to acquire first?

I' am planning to get CISSP or GSEC . Please advise me on what would be the best certification to acquire first?.
<<

ziggy_567

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:41 am

Re: CISSP or GSEC what would be the best certification to acquire first?

Why not both?

I think if you're ready for one, there is only minimal studying to go for the second...
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

dbest

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:40 am

While I am not very familiar with GSEC, I can safely say that CISSP is the more well-known cert for security. You do need need to have at least 5 years of experience in 2 of the 10 domains of CISSP, do earn the degree.
However, you can earn the Associate degree by just passing the exam.
CISM, CEH, CISA, ISO 27001 LA
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:40 am

CISSP is way more recognize than GSEC. Even if ziggy_567 is right in the fact that they more or less cover the same material, it is not entirely true.

GSEC is more technical (go deeper) than CISSP but doesn't cover as much material. In GSEC, you don't or barely see questions on DRP/BCP, physical security, hardware architecture, etc.

I personally did GSEC first and I liked it while I hated my experience studying for CISSP. After GSEC, you feel you have learn many useful skills. After CISSP, you feel like you will forget half what you have studied the week after the exam...

But again, CISSP is probably the top certification for HR right now, so this will bring you more $$$ than GSEC.

A tough decision...  :-\
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

hell_razor

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:40 am

IMHO,

CISSP is a better cert if you work on the theoretical and policy side of security.

GSEC is better if you are a practitioner.

However, has stated before, CISSP will likely be more successful in job hunting and getting past HR.
A+, Network+, Server+, CISSP, GSEC, GCIH, GPEN, GCIA, GISP, GCFW
<<

Triban

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:21 am

Another vote for both.  If you take the GSEC course the CPEs apply to a CISSP.  So either way its a win.  Again if you prefer the more technical content and want to be strong with the skills, go GSEC.  Then grab the CISSP to make HR happy.  The other question, are you currently employed?  And do they require you to have a CISSP?  If they do, then go for CISSP first to make them happy.  Get GSEC to gain some very useful technical skills.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

pseud0

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:38 am

As someone who is regularly on the hiring side of the equation, either doing my own hiring or helping clients staff positions, I would say that the CISSP is going to get you more bang for your buck in most cases.  It isn't as drastic a difference as it used to be, but the gap is still there. HR teams have the CISSP on their cheat sheets as being "the security cert" and they probably wouldn't recognize the GSEC.  Again, this is just in regards to a random, vanilla position in "security".  For the more technical positions, or in organizations where the hiring manager has a chance to be involved in candidate screening, the GSEC might giver you a slight edge, but in most cases some HR resource that can barely boot their laptop will still be the first level of approval for your resume.
CISSP, CISM, CISA, GCIH, GREM, CEH, HMFIC, KTHXBIROFLCOPTER
<<

raptorsl

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks for all your advises. According to what you have mentioned it seems  CISSP would be the best option as i have just started my career. According to what i found out people here are much aware of CISSP than GSEC.So it would be CISSP first and then i will go for GSEC some time later.

Return to Security