CompTIA Security+ to be Refreshed

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:03 am

CompTIA Security+ to be Refreshed

The following was released by CompTIA in a recent newsletter by CompTIA staff writer, Kristin Clifford:

CompTIA has begun the process to refresh the content of the CompTIA Security+ exam. The goal of the content refresh is to make the technology covered in the exam more current to more accurately reflect security issues faced by the IT industry today.

CompTIA Security+ validates knowledge of communication security, infrastructure security, cryptography, operational security and general security concepts. The refresh will include changes to the test questions only; the exam objectives will not change. CompTIA Security+ is still a relevant and even vital certification for those looking to work in any aspect of IT security.

According to Security+ Product Manager, Carol Balkcom, the refreshed exam should be live by the end of 2006. This is very similar to what ISC2 does for the CISSP exam. There will be no new exam released, but as the security landscape changes, new questions will eventually make their way into the exam.

Being a Security+ SME (Subject Matter Expert), I helped write a number of the new questions. This prevents me from providing any information on specific questions, but rest assured that many of the new malware scurges hitting us on a daily basis will now be covered on this entry level IT security exam. As with any certification, Security+ will not make you an expert, but I highly recommend this credential to those just getting into security. It's a great overview and introduction to the field.

If you're interested in my experience as an SME for CompTIA, take a look at My Week as a Smee on our sister site, CSP Magazine.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

JLEckert

Post Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:26 pm

Re: CompTIA Security+ to be Refreshed

Security + will be my next venture.  I am presently working on Network +.  The CBTNuggets are a great asset in learning the material.
<<

mn_kthompson

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:51 pm

I have been reading the Security+ Exam cram book as I prepare for this exam.  Do you believe that the book will continue to be a useful resource for studying for the test, or do I need to go out and buy new study material?
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:42 pm

The book should be fine. It's not an entirely new exam. They are just slowly rolling in new questions.

Before I became an SME, I created an Excel Spreadsheet with lots of helpful things to study. I created for my own use, and offered it for download on our sister site, CSP Magazine. Hopefully it will help you.

CSP HelpfulHints for Security+

I also agree with JLEckert on CBT Nuggets. Very good and very helpful especially if you don't have the time or money to attend classroom training.

Don
<<

mvan19

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:13 pm

I plan on taking the security+ exam april-june of this year and am studying from a book covering the 2002 objectives. is this alright or should i buy a newer book? will the book be all i need to pass this exam? is it difficult? thanks
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:18 pm

Not knowing the book, I can't say. As always, study from more than just one book. As for the objectives, they will remain the same. The questions within the objectives are being updated. It's now more like the CISSP exam. The CISSP exam doesn't have versions or years attached to them. They keep the exam up to date by rotating in newer questions and retiring old ones. Exams that follow this method are also harder to cheat. So know your stuff.

Hope this helps,
Don

Return to General Certification