Wireshark cert?

<<

Tancred

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:59 am

Wireshark cert?

Hey all,

Did a quick search through the forum whilst on my phone and didn't see anything about the WCNA.  Has anyone here looked at this? Would it be worth it for someone with very little experience?
<<

WCNA

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:21 pm

Re: Wireshark cert?

:D
Well as you can guess by my username, the answer to your question is yes. I took the full course. I can't remember how many hours of videos it was but it was a bunch! If I remember correctly the All Access Pass had about 40+ hours of videos (I was thinking it was more like 70 hours but that could be way off).

It is a very good course for some people because you will learn the ins and outs of the protocols from the packet level. You could just read the book and pass the test....it was fairly easy for me (but then again I'd seen all those videos!). It covers a lot of other topics as well such as voice and troubleshooting. Check out some of the free videos on Laura's Lab Kit v10. She's a good teacher and she knows her stuff- http://www.chappellu.com/
The videos make it very easy to learn this stuff because she will repeat some things just enough that you will remember them.

Would it be worth it for someone with very little experience?

Absolutely! Packets don't lie.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

Seen

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:03 pm

WCNA, I'm thinking about getting the All Access Pass, but as you said, there seem to be a lot of videos.  Do you have any advice on the order to view the videos in?  I have basic Wireshark knowledge, and want to learn a lot, but I don't want to feel overwhelmed.

Thanks
Sec+, eCPPT
<<

caissyd

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:23 am

Online course: $699 (1-year access)
Wireshark CNA Exam is USD $299

@WCNA: Would you say the videos are more than enough to pass the exam?

Looks like good knowledge (and a cert!) to me for $1000.
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

rattis

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:10 am

The videos might be cool, but I'm actually more interested in the book.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

WCNA

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:17 pm

@ Seen said "Do you have any advice on the order to view the videos in? "

The intro stuff (basics) then Core 1 then Core 2 then whatever specific topic you are interested in. You won't feel overwhelmed. She's a very good teacher and everything is explained clearly.

H1t M0nk3y said "Would you say the videos are more than enough to pass the exam?"

Way more than enough! If you watch all the videos and follow along with the labs, you will know Wireshark inside and out and know a TON of stuff about protocols. You will breeze through the exam.

I was so impressed with the course I chose it as my username. I learned a lot of stuff, way more in depth than I had previously known.
Last edited by WCNA on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Tancred

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:43 am

Heh, I go away for two days and interesting replies pop up.  :D

I will have a look at that site, and I'm strongly considering going after the WCNA.

Thanks!
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:54 am

chrisj wrote:The videos might be cool, but I'm actually more interested in the book.

The book's fantastic. I reviewed it here awhile back.

The Prep Guide (which I haven't had a chance to go through yet) is also available: http://wiresharkbook.com/epg/index.html That would be another excellent resource for the exam.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

tturner

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:18 am

I have the WCNA study guide book and it's been sitting on my shelf for a few months now taunting me. I keep telling myself I will get to it after $CERT_X because it looks really amazing but I always have 2 or 3 courses queued up at any point in time. (Taking CCNA as soon as I get off my butt and get back to studying, have the voucher, and have CSTA and CSTP planned in Oct and Nov and then SANS 2012 in April so will have to squeeze it in when I can but OSCP has been taunting me as well.) There are too many darn certs and they are like Pokemon to me - "Gotta catch 'em all!" Is there a 12 step program for Certaholics?
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

rattis

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:16 pm

don't know if there is a 12 step program.

But I know what you mean about several things cued up at once. I want to buy the book but I want to be able to read it when I do, and I have too many other books queued up first. A couple of projects too.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Tancred

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:57 pm

So I recently acquired the surprisingly-massive Wireshark Study Guide. Jeez, I could do some damage with this thing; literally, as it happens.

I will be doing an in-depth review from the POV of a n00b as I go through the book, for anyone interested. I am like 40 pages in and already love her semi-informal style of writing. It relaxes you, makes it not feel like a textbook, then tightens up when it needs to be serious. :)
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Laura is an incredible writer, and her personality, if you ever meet her, is great!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:01 am

Just to put in my two sense.

Just like you, I barely have any experience. So I did read the wireshark book from cover to cover but didnt take the test (Im currently writing a review for the book right now). I learned so much from this book. I thought I had a good grasp on tcp/ip and all that good stuff before this book, but I truly underestimated how much information is out there.

Not to mention how many cool things you can do with wireshark. I don't think you need to take the actual test but the book would definitely help most people out (you're going to take a lot of notes!).
OSCP in progress
<<

l33t5h@rk

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:17 am

I think the WCNA cert is just as impressive as having CCNA on your resume. Not everyone is a Cisco shop, and if you aren't going to work with Cisco devices as part of your weekly routine why not focus on something that is infrastructure agnostic?
<<

WCNA

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Like they say- "packets don't lie". Troubleshooting network issues frequently comes down to looking at packet captures. Currently, I'm reading the "Deploying and Troubleshooting Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers" book and Wireshark shows up many times throughout the book. Having a cert that demonstrates you have an understanding of the underlying protocols can only help on a resume.
Next

Return to Networking