Wireshark cert?

<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Wireshark cert?

After the last two post, I kind of want to get the cert lol  and I wish it did hold as much value as the CCNA!
OSCP in progress
<<

p0et

Post Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:39 pm

Looks like a great cert with loads of valuable knowledge to be learned!  I'm never sure which cert to go after since I'm always interested in several different ones at the same time.

Would you guys suggest the Wireshark cert before attempting the Cisco CCNA?  The CCNA looks very involved, especially for someone who doesn't work in networking (yet).
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:03 am

It depends on your level of retention and current understanding.  I can tell you, in general, the Wireshark cert will drill a LOT into you, and I'm not sure that I'd say CCNA is as 'involved' as the Wireshark cert.  CCNA is, in general, vendor-specific (while some topics, such as subnetting and general understanding of VLAN's, for instance, carryover to other vendors' stuff,) whereas, Wireshark will ALWAYS apply, regardless of your network provider or hardware, and goes deeper into understanding, at the packet level.

If it were me, and I had to spend my money, I'd do Wireshark.  But if you want / need both, and are learning, I'd do CCNA first, to make sure you understand at least the basics of such topics, as I'd listed, above, then go Wireshark.  (Unless you already solidly understand TCP/IP and how it works.)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:45 am

Thanks hayabusa, thats kind of what I thought. If I had the money I would definitely get the video's from their website, I heard they are really good and not to boring. Which is always a plus.
OSCP in progress
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:59 am

The Wireshark University stuff is excellent.  While mine is a couple of years old, and I'm not sure how much it may have changed or been updated, I still refer back to it, now and then.

I never took the cert exam (maybe I should, someday,) but IMHO, it's not widely recognized, yet, by recruiters, so I don't know that just adding the letters to my name would be worth my time right now.

But again, it's an excellent resource.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:24 am

Do you think the cert will ever get recognized?
OSCP in progress
<<

WCNA

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:41 am

1) CCNA first then Wireshark if you're just starting out.

2) It will eventually get recognized but that will take time. HR might not "get it" (yet) but the admins that make the final candidate selection will. If a job requirement mentions Wireshark it's a definite plus. My resume has the WCNA spelled out so HR programs that use 'wireshark' as a search term will find it.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 pm

That's definitely a good idea of spelling it out. Has any company asked about your WCNA before?
OSCP in progress
<<

WCNA

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:57 am

No, they are all asking about my Cisco experience as that seems to be what they are looking for in the jobs I'm applying for- WLAN admin/designer (that's why I'm busy relearning all that stuff).

I imagine once they see the WCNA cert they just check that off in their long list of requirements. I've turned down several jobs because they were contractual and they wouldn't guarantee me a long enough period. The wireless security jobs in this economy are few and far between so I've had to start looking at admin/design jobs.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+
<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:53 pm

I hope to one day get into wireless security, do you have an opinion on what the job outlook may look like for the future (will the industry grow a lot more?)
OSCP in progress
<<

impelse

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:24 pm

It is taking long time bu wireless is the future.
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:23 pm

I had a thread on here a while ago, asking if wireless would take over ethernet..and a lot of people said wireless will never take over ethernet because its not as fast or secure. Do you think thats true?
OSCP in progress
<<

millwalll

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:21 pm

I don't think it willl take over yet maybe in another 10 years or so.
<<

impelse

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:29 pm

I remember that conversation, we talk that with the technology that we have right now there is a security and speed problem. In the other hand you can see the mobile devices and how many people are developing application using web interface for mobile devices.

So eventualy and very slow we will move toward to wireless, not now
CCNA, Security+, 70-290, 70-291
CCNA Security
Taking Hackingdojo training

<<

YuckTheFankees

Post Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:07 pm

What I don't get..is that everyone knows the future is wireless but I don't hear a lot of people studying it or trying to get wireless certs.. If I knew something is the future, I would want to study now so when wireless takes over, I would have all the certs and knowledge.  ?!?
OSCP in progress
PreviousNext

Return to Networking