CBT Nuggets - which course(s) to take?

<<

p0et

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:06 pm

CBT Nuggets - which course(s) to take?

Hey Guys,

My employer paid for a 1 year enterprise subscription to CBT Nuggets for me.  This gives me access to all of their vidz.  I'm ultimately trying to get into an InfoSec position and there's a Security Ops team here who mainly deal with "Investigations & Forensics".  There's also a NOC (Network Ops Center) here who deal with network security issues.

Which CBT Nuggets course(s) would you recommend I take?  I heard very good things about the CBT Nuggets trainer for their Cisco CCNA course but not sure if Cisco would be helpful to have or not in an InfoSec job.  I'm also of course thinking of the CEH course but theirs is ver5 or 6 I think.  The CEHv7 isn't ready yet for CBT Nuggets.  A few other CBT Nuggets examples are:
LPIC Linux+
Python
SSCP
CISA

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Security Ops team here to see what they say about which courses they'd recommend I take and exactly what they do.

Thanks!
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: CBT Nuggets - which course(s) to take?

Python would be good.  If you're new / not well-versed in Linux, Linux+ would be good, also.  If they JUST bought the subscription, CEH v7 shouldn't be far off for them, either, but even v6 would be worth a beginning look.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

p0et

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks hayabusa.  I had a look at Python and Linux+ on CBT. Unfortunately those are SO dry compared to the CBT courses Cisco CCNA and CEH.  Do you think it's wise to go for my CCNA if I'm mainly wanting to get into InfoSec (Investigations, Forensics and Pen Testing)?
<<

tturner

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:47 pm

CCNA has a lot of value in my opinion. First off it will teach you about networking and the devices managing that network. So many people overlook the routers and switches and there is a LOT of fun to be had pwning the network. Secondly it gives you a little credibility with the networking guys. I know a few Cisco shops that won't let anyone without a CCNA touch their network.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

the_Grinch

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:56 pm

I am finishing my CCNA (CCENT is about to expire) and I believe it is definitely work getting.  There was a post on here once explaining how to begin ethical hacking and networking is fairly important.  No use in being able to own a box if you can't get through the network right?
BS-CST Security+

Blog:  http://havewire.blogspot.com/
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:04 pm

CCNA / networking knowledge is definitely worth your time, too.  Sorry I didn't plug that one in there.

IMHO, dry or not (many programming-related ones are,) at LEAST the python course is worth your time.  Too many tools, existing scripts / sploits, etc, are written in python, and it will come in very handy in ANY Infosec-related job.  I can't count the number of times I'm into a python script or program, in an average month, alone, due to its sheer usefulness.  I like Ruby, too, bit I would strongly advise Python, if it's part of your subscription.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

p0et

Post Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Yeah, I noticed too that many hacker programs are written in Python.  I don't have any programming experience other than HTML stuff so I'll make my way through that course.  Same goes for Linux, I'm dual booting Ubuntu and Win7 but still am not comfortable with Linux yet.  I'll see if I have enough time to do the 4 courses, Python, Linux+, CEH and CCNA.
<<

millwalll

Post Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:36 am

I would say it would be good to learn at least one programming  Language. As once you know one its pretty easy to pick up other as they all follow the same principles: like loops,if statements, variables so on 

And would agree with the courses you have select but maybe doing it in Linux + Python CEH then CCNA.

Return to General Certification