Metaphysical BuG

<<

O_o

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:06 pm

Metaphysical BuG

I love doing everything on my on( so instead of using nmap i use the ping command) but sometimes the metaphysical bug A.K.A LazZiNneSs starts to kick in and I want to use programs instead of the mundane cmd prompt; however, don't won't to be viewed as a script kiddie. So here's the question "What's the difference between a <ScRiPt kiddy> and a L@Zz^y progammer¿
If your computer speaks English, than it was probably made in Japan.
<<

lorddicranius

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Metaphysical BuG

I really don't have an answer for the script kiddie vs lazy programmer question, but I did want to point out that pinging a system is only a tiny part of what nmap does.  Ping will tell you if a system is responding, but it won't port scan and let you know possible avenues of attack.  Nmap is a tool used quite often by people in IT and infosec, it isn't just a script kiddie tool :)
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:41 am

Ok...  So the post subject caught my attention, but WTH does it have to do with the actual post???

That aside, nmap is NOT a script kiddie tool, and most every pentester I know will use it, at appropriate times.  I think it's safe to say that we've discussed script kiddies plenty of times on EH, and given opinions on the same.  Ultimately, IMHO, what makes a script kiddie is the lack of knowledge of what an underlying tool ACTUALLY does, in terms of OSI layers, protocol stacks, and real 'technicalities,' and assumes that just running canned scripts / tools will always yield results.  A script kiddie, for instance, doesn't really understand things like timing options in an nmap scan, and what effects they have with regard to stealth, not killing a target system, or how different types of scans actually accomplish their fingerprinting, at a technical level of understanding.

Now is that ALL there is to my definition?  No.  But this could be a LONG post if I continued.  I think the above is a good generalization, though.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

O_o

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:11 pm

@Hayabusa
Well metaphysical defines something that is abstract; or not palpable(in short) which I defined lazziness as;which,Imho, is a bug that has no patch,no source code,but only can be worked around not worked with and also can't be touched,seen,tasted, or heard therefore it is abstract which subsequently makes it metaphysical, hence the title "Metaphysical BuG".
If your computer speaks English, than it was probably made in Japan.
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:20 am

Ok.  In that context, then, I see where you came from with the title. I re-read your post, and now it makes more sense to me, in that light.  :-)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Triban

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:27 am

I would expand a bit more on Hayabusa's post.

Script Kiddie: "I runz hAx toolz + I break comput0rz = I'm a 1337 haX0rz"

Real Hacker/Pentester: I run the tool because it does the easy stuff for me while I concentrate more on how to determine my appropriate attack vector without setting off alarms or brining down the system I am trying to gain access too. 

Hackers/Pentesters have a set goal in mind when they are targeting a system.  Anyone can bring down a system but the goal you want to prove as a pentester is the ability to get access to information stored on said systems and then provide this information to the client with intelligent explanations on how it was obtained as well as proper remediation steps to prevent future attacks.  Learn what the tools are suppose to do and when it is appropriate to use them.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

caissyd

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:21 pm

To add on the L@Zz^y progammer:

"Good programer write great code. Great programer steals great code!"

To me, "lazyness = efficiency", when you understand what you are doing...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)

Return to Programming