Urgent: Ppl connect to my Mobile Hotspot!

<<

MrSmith007

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:07 pm

Urgent: Ppl connect to my Mobile Hotspot!

Hi,

I have an HTC Desire Z; and I have the portable wifi hotspot availalbe.. secured with a password. However it seems that ppl still access my internet as it shows users connected. Now I would like to know who it is.

Is it possible that if someone connects to your mobile wifi hotspot; u can connect to their phone and see for example contacts list and messages?
<<

TheXero

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:43 am

Re: Urgent: Ppl connect to my Mobile Hotspot!

Seems to me from that limited amount of information you provided that you are using WEP with Open Authentication.

what this means is client can authenticate with the hotspot when they click on it, but without the encryption code they can't read any traffic.

Try change it to WPA, it should still work ok as WPA is supposidly compatible with older hardware.

Regards,
TheXero
<<

j0rDy

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:34 am

if you are using joikuspot (just guessing, if not provide more information), make sure you get the premium version so you can set a (not so obvious ssid name) password to ensure nobody is piggy-backing on your hotspot.
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:00 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it ALMOST seemed like MrSmith007 was trying to social engineer some info, perhaps to use his AP in the wrong way (to allow him to access unsuspecting folks' contacts and phone info.)

If intentions and description were truthful, apologies.  Just that sometimes you get that feeling in your gut, especially when something like that is a FIRST post...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

j0rDy

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:53 am

hayabusa: you are probably right (again ;)), seems that it wasnt that "urgent" after all  8)
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Triban

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:14 pm

It would be interesting to see all the users who are 1 posts and list their topics.  Bet there would be a nifty pattern.
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:09 pm

3xban...  Maybe I'm way behind on this...  Were you previously Triban, on here?  Sorry if you were, and previously made a name change known, and I missed it, but just wanted to make sure who you were.  :-)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

rattis

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:11 pm

3xban wrote:It would be interesting to see all the users who are 1 posts and list their topics.  Bet there would be a nifty pattern.

I think you can, a little hard to do, but possible. Go into the members tab, sort on single posts, and away you go. :)

More work than I want to do right now. maybe if I ever go to grad school it would make for an interesting project and then worth the time. But undergrad first, maybe. :)
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Triban

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:59 am

hayabusa wrote:3xban...  Maybe I'm way behind on this...  Were you previously Triban, on here?  Sorry if you were, and previously made a name change known, and I missed it, but just wanted to make sure who you were.  :-)

ha, yeah, that is me.  technically it still is "Triban" :D  I've been messing with personas and trying to find one that seems to work.  Need to invent something to use if I need to get some "dirty" files from some no so savory places on the net if I want some decent malware samples.

Chrisj, maybe I will mess around with that.  Give me something interesting to do.
(@)Dewser
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:25 am

@3xban - cool.  Just wondered if my 1337 (yeah, as if) powers of observation were on pointe, or not.  I remember tweaking mine a few times, back in the day, and I still keep a couple spares for the same reason as you, but they're totally different, and wouldn't be recognizable, were you to happen across them, in the handful of sites I use them on.  But I totally understand your reasons.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

rattis

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:58 am

3xban wrote:Chrisj, maybe I will mess around with that.  Give me something interesting to do.

curiosity got the better of me yesterday. i started toying with that idea. after 6 pages of accounts with zero posts, I gave up.  :)
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Triban

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:50 am

HA!  I made it to the single posts, but then lost interest.  I popped through a few and some were valid but either they never got a response or they are fairly new.  There are a ton of zero accounts, then I saw the total number of members and realized this could take a while.  Around page 86 is when you see the single digits.

There are not that many suprisingly.
(@)Dewser

Return to Mobile