Degree path help

<<

Espike

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:21 am

Degree path help

Hello all,
I am currently enrolled at DeVry and am working towards my B.S. in CIS with the information systems security spec. My career goal is to be a pen tester/ethical hacker. I know this is by no means an entry level job and I'll have to work my way up there over the course of my career. My question is whether the degree I'm currently pursuing is the right choice or should I change my major to Network and Communications Management?
Sec+
<<

yatz

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: Degree path help

I in no way think your chosen path is wrong.  Congrats on pursuing an information security degree!

But as you say, it is something you need to work toward.  B.S. in ISsec is a good technical start.  If you wanted to do a more managerial route, it could help with working with the business-types out there, which will come in handy too.

To me, a B.S. degree is simply a way to get in the door of a company, just like any career certs.  Most companies require B.S. degrees simply to make sure you are the kind of person that can stick something out for 4 years regardless of what "it" is.

The real trick is to keep your career goal in mind for the following years after school.  Keep pursuing it and learning as much as you can, taking as many opportunities as you can to move ahead toward the goal.

A common sentiment in this industry seems to be excitement about security is not enough, you need to REALLY know what you're doing to be taken seriously.  Go after the degree/certs not for the title but for the knowledge that title describes, and if at the end you can't talk at length about what you just accomplished then you probably missed something.  Ask yourself, if you were a business owner, would you want you securing your network?  If not, what can you do to develop that confidence?

Keep your goals in sight, get your degree, and keep moving and before you know it you will be there.
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH
<<

Espike

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:19 pm

Thanks yatz. This is some really great insight. I'll keep this in mind as I move ahead throughout my college and working career. I guess my question was more of which degree to get but as you pointed out, the degree doesn't matter so much as does the knowledge I possess. Thanks for your help, and I'll see you around the forums.
Sec+
<<

Joshsevo

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 pm

I just graduated from Devry with a CIS BA degree with Network Security and Computer Forensics in June  Good luck.
Security+, Network+, C|EH, CHFI, CPT

Return to Career Central