Malware Analysis

<<

satyr

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:04 am

Malware Analysis

Hi all,

I have been reading about Malware Analysis, Ive had some samples for analysis which I used for understanding.

Guys im looking for sources from where I can get malwares for analysis, currently im looking at sites like
MalwareDomainList
OffensiveComputing
Tuts4You

I would love to get a sample and a analysis report of the sample so that i can try all the things mentioned in the analysis. I want to do this till im a little familiar with the basics. After that id love to go ahead and do my own analysis.

Please tell me some forums/sites which anyone here uses for malware analysis.
Please tell me some other methods which I can use, Honeypot I know is one of them.

Thanks all for reading, please share your thoughts on this.
<<

dbest

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:32 am

Re: Malware Analysis

Take a look at some of the challenges hosted by "The Honeynet Project".
http://honeynet.org/challenges

Couple of Scan of the Month challenges (http://old.honeynet.org/scans/index.html) are also related to Malware analysis.
You can start with Scan 32 - Analyze a Malware binary and then proceed to
Scan 33 - Advanced reverse engineering challenge.
CISM, CEH, CISA, ISO 27001 LA
<<

MaXe

Post Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:58 am

Go to YouTube and search for eLearnSecurity - Malware Analysis. There's 2 good videos there as well, pretty basic, but cool  :)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

satyr

Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Awesome. That helps a lot.
I have been following some forums and looking for analysis articles.

i have heard about Malware Analysts Cookbook ... any other books which someone can recommend ?
<<

dbest

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:21 am

MaXe wrote:Go to YouTube and search for eLearnSecurity - Malware Analysis. There's 2 good videos there as well, pretty basic, but cool  :)

Those videos do begin with a behavioral analysis of the malware. Wouldn't it be better to start off with a static analysis?
CISM, CEH, CISA, ISO 27001 LA
<<

jasohansen

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:51 am

dbest wrote:
Those videos do begin with a behavioral analysis of the malware. Wouldn't it be better to start off with a static analysis?

I think that's a personal preference as long as you're doing behavioral analysis correctly. (isolated system, yadda yadda yadda) I find it easier to leverage my static analysis with my behavioral analysis. I'm sure there are people that cringe at the thought of running malware, but in my mind you're going to end up running it one way or another.
<<

Triban

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi Satyr, I am actually in the same boat as you.  I am currently going through the cookbook which is pretty decent.  Surprisingly, the Kindle version is decent, the only negative was having to hunt down the DVD contents, but they were easily obtainable using an SVN client and following the site's instructions.  Another decent piece of the book is the prep.  They go over getting a lab setup, some free tools you can use and even going anonymous when you are visiting the bad sites.  Using tools such as TOR and proxies.

I will certainly check out the sites posted here, those will be helpful.

Good luck!!
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser

Return to Malware