Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:27 pm

Old Paper, Relevant Topic - From ISTS at Dartmouth College

Hey guys,

I was reading an article that I stumbled upon somehow, through my Twitter timeline no doubt.  It's from way back in 2004, but it's all about Cyberwarfare.  Published by the guys at the Institute for Security Technology studies, the article is entitled Cyber Warfare: An Analysis of the Means and Motives of Selected Nation States.

So it gives you the overview, it gives you the executive summary, then it goes on to talk about China, Russia, Iran, Pakistan, India and North Korea.  It is an academic document and thus littered with references to related readings that are (from what few I perused) also highly interesting (though some are dated).  There's some interesting discussion of asymmetric warfare (especially in response to the comparatively overwhelming power of the USA's conventional military), information warfare, hacktivism (which is totally the word de jour) and the evolution of IT networks in the US into a "strategic center of gravity."

Table 1, on page 22 / 142, strikes me as particularly interesting because it discusses a lot of critical topic areas both in the private and public sector.  The latter are more interesting, since the private sector was always going to respond in a more agile, speedier fashion out of necessity.  

The list of public sector topic areas includes, but is not limited to:

Active cyber warfare units, available cyber warfare doctrine, computer emergency response teams (CERTs, if you will, heh), cyber crime prevention and investigation teams, government-run academic institutions with cyber programs, government-sponsored IT projects, Intelligence Service capabilities, C4I information Warfare capability (Military Command and Control Communications, Computers and Intelligence), and so forth.

The article concerns itself more with the aforementioned nations and the threat they represent to the United States (and really the rest of the world) with their developing cyber warfare programs (and China's Blue Team is already somewhat well-known at this stage), so I'm compelled to ask, how well do you think the US (or anyone else that you care to discuss) is mobilizing to deal with this knew theatre (yes, theatre, I'm Canadian) of warfare?