Anyone taken GPEN/GWAPT in UK

<<

vp75

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:40 pm

Anyone taken GPEN/GWAPT in UK

Hi friends,

I'm just looking for some feedback on the above in the sense has anyone taken SANS GPEN or GWAPT in UK?

just interested to know more about the same, I'm checking with my company for the above bootcamp on either of the course... not sure which one will be approved.... As i have seen the Sans website, for GPEN laptop requirement with VMimage on various windows is expected...Is that much Windows (XP,Visahome, Vista ultimate/prof, windows xp Home , windows server etc... required?

I was under the impression there will be lab available during the bootcamp....

your views & reply is much appreciated....

Cheers
Vp
eCPPT
<<

MaXe

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: Anyone taken GPEN/GWAPT in UK

vp75 wrote:Hi friends,

I'm just looking for some feedback on the above in the sense has anyone taken SANS GPEN or GWAPT in UK?

just interested to know more about the same, I'm checking with my company for the above bootcamp on either of the course... not sure which one will be approved.... As i have seen the Sans website, for GPEN laptop requirement with VMimage on various windows is expected...Is that much Windows (XP,Visahome, Vista ultimate/prof, windows xp Home , windows server etc... required?

I was under the impression there will be lab available during the bootcamp....

your views & reply is much appreciated....

Cheers
Vp

Hi Vp,

GIAC is the organization in relation to the GPEN and GWAPT certifications, while SANS is the organization related to their own courses that prepares students for the GIAC certifications.

GPEN is e.g. associated with SANS SEC560 while GWAPT, is SANS SEC542.

The actual certification is the same no matter where you do a proctored exam. (All GIAC examinations are proctored as far as I know.)

There are pretty much 3 ways to do these courses, where the first one is intensive courses usually lasting 5 full working days, while the next is self-study and the last but not least is mentor sessions where you have to study yourself, but where you meet up with a mentor once or twice a week, to discuss the course material, etc.

If you have a very good base within ethical hacking, both GPEN and GWAPT shouldn't be too hard, however without any study they may be a bit hard to pass, or at least get a good score at. (I could pass both without study, but I did study a few topics briefly to get an acceptable score, which made me able to apply as a SANS mentor.)

Depending on how fast you need the certification, and what kind of learning method you prefer, the prices may vary as well. I haven't attended any SANS courses yet, but I do hold the GPEN certification, and is also a SANS mentor too for both of these courses. (I pretty much know most of the topics, even though mentors that might've not done the course, will be given time to learn these as well.)

So if you choose a SANS mentor, it can vary but generally the mentor should know the material very well, and have a good relevant skill set too.

With SANS instructors, you're guaranteed the highest quality you can get, as these are highly trained and has in some cases done a lot of mentor sessions too.

Good luck with your choice!  ;)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

tturner

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:07 pm

The Mentor program is very interesting, but I am qualified to Mentor 5 GIAC certs and I know if I got me for at least 2 of those 5 I'd be asking for my money back. I'll let you guess which 2. Go for SANS instructor led at a conference, OnDemand or vLive. That's my vote.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

xsurf

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Hi, sorry if my question dont fit here.

I'm planning to take PWB v3 course. MaXe do you think after I pass the certified from offensive security, i can pass GPEN exam too with self study.

Thank.
CCNA, SND
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:03 pm

If you can pass OSCP, then you should definitely be able to pass GPEN through self-study.  (I did)

Just know that you'll need to brush up your knowledge of laws and other stuff, that isn't covered in depth in OSCP, before going after GPEN.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

xsurf

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Thank hayabusa, is good to have an answer from someone who has already passed for that experience.

Can you give me some advice.

for example:
What book can help me?, etc.

Thank againg.
CCNA, SND
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:05 pm

I'll dig up my list of what I used to self-study, and post (likely tomorrow). Trying desperately to ignore my main pc tonight, so replying from my phone...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

xsurf

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:36 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oks.

Thanks
CCNA, SND
<<

vp75

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 am

Hi MaXe ,

Thanks for your reply,

I think i didnt clearly write in my topic, as you said I'm interested in either of the training 6+ certification, (just trying to push it thru my company for this training and have put forward both the courses, if they chose either of the one, I'm glad to take it) as i plan to do other by self study at later point of time.

I would say not a strong base as such in Ethical hacking /security testing,(preparing myself to work hard) I have been in IT for quite long time with good dev/testing exp, also Im aware of the basics of Linux/windows, currently I have set up my own lab and learning thru BT, since the Sans Bootcamp training is scheduled around Dec in UK, I think in this period I can grasp good knowledge on security testing by self learning with various distros i have setup in lab.
I will confirm later if training is approved in my company.....fingers crossed...

Cheers
Vp
eCPPT
<<

MaXe

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:09 pm

tturner wrote:I know if I got me for at least 2 of those 5 I'd be asking for my money back. I'll let you guess which 2.

Would you even ask if I was the mentor?  ;D I'd bring custom labs (for exercises)  ;)

xsurf wrote:I'm planning to take PWB v3 course. MaXe do you think after I pass the certified from offensive security, i can pass GPEN exam too with self study.

It fits well within this topic imho  :) I've heard a lot of people was able to pass GPEN after OSCP. Just brush up on the laws (in VARIOUS countries, including USA, UK, Japan, Germany, Canada, and a few more).
When you've done that you tackle some terminology, along with windows post exploitation commands, and of course other topics you may feel weak in as well. (Do a practice exam / test first, and look at the areas you got 2 or less stars in. Those areas are skills you need to improve!)

vp75 wrote:I think i didnt clearly write in my topic, as you said I'm interested in either of the training 6+ certification, (just trying to push it thru my company for this training and have put forward both the courses, if they chose either of the one, I'm glad to take it) as i plan to do other by self study at later point of time.

I would say not a strong base as such in Ethical hacking /security testing,(preparing myself to work hard) I have been in IT for quite long time with good dev/testing exp, also Im aware of the basics of Linux/windows, currently I have set up my own lab and learning thru BT, since the Sans Bootcamp training is scheduled around Dec in UK, I think in this period I can grasp good knowledge on security testing by self learning with various distros i have setup in lab.
I will confirm later if training is approved in my company.....fingers crossed...

No problem, I'll think you'll do fine if you just study hard, and when things get tough, you try harder as offsec often says  :) The key to becoming a pro hacker with a good skillset (get a good base, then specialize in an area), is dedication, ambition and creativity / intuition.
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

xsurf

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Thanks MaXe for your answer.
CCNA, SND
<<

idr0p

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:24 pm

tturner wrote:The Mentor program is very interesting, but I am qualified to Mentor 5 GIAC certs and I know if I got me for at least 2 of those 5 I'd be asking for my money back. I'll let you guess which 2. Go for SANS instructor led at a conference, OnDemand or vLive. That's my vote.

turner... i know GCIA has to be one of them.. the other i am guessing GAWN

am i right? huh huh?
GCIA GCIH GPEN GWAPT
Up Next: CISA CISSP
<<

vp75

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:23 am

Hi MaXe

Thanks for your reply,

I'm redy for hard work, just got TCPIP Illustrated which should also give a strong foundation in network area if needed rather just reading RFC's ...

I have forwaded my request to my employer.... fingers crossed....though the training (bootcamp) is around dec2011, i hope i would get a chance of approval even if rejected first time  ;)

Cheers
Vp
eCPPT
<<

MaXe

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:04 pm

vp75 wrote:Hi MaXe

Thanks for your reply,

I'm redy for hard work, just got TCPIP Illustrated which should also give a strong foundation in network area if needed rather just reading RFC's ...

I have forwaded my request to my employer.... fingers crossed....though the training (bootcamp) is around dec2011, i hope i would get a chance of approval even if rejected first time  ;)

Cheers
Vp

No problem, and good luck! Study hard, and pwn that exam  :) Just remember it's open book (not "open Internet"), so take notes or index the course material very well, when / if you decide to go for the certification. Also, do 1 or 2 of the practice exams first, so you can get to know your weak and strong points and also follow up on what you may need to know more about, if any topic at all  ;)
I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to GPEN - GIAC Certified Penetration Tester