here we go....

<<

nicklauscombs

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:18 pm

here we go....

now that i've had a few months off the study wagon after picking up my CCNP i have officially signed up for the OSCP with a start date of this sunday. i suppose this makes me a glutton for punishment but i'm really looking forward to this challenge. any encouraging words of advice would be much appreciated.
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: here we go....

We've given plenty of advice here, in many threads, so I'm not gonna repeat my previous.  (Besides, you'll definitely need to be used to searching and more searching, for OSCP)

That said, I'll just go by the OSCP creed, and remind you to be prepared to

TRY HARDER

Good luck, and let us know how you do.  If you need study help along the way, use their IRC, as both their folks, and many past students (myself included) hang out in there quite a bit.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

nicklauscombs

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:16 pm

hayabusa wrote:(Besides, you'll definitely need to be used to searching and more searching, for OSCP)

This is one of the main reason i choose to tackle the OSCP. I am excited about diving into the mystery, no hand holding and running around with my head cut off for a good couple of months.
<<

dbest

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:18 pm

Good choice. I am currently trying to get through the PWB training modules.

All the best.
CISM, CEH, CISA, ISO 27001 LA
<<

MaXe

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:25 pm

nicklauscombs wrote:
hayabusa wrote:(Besides, you'll definitely need to be used to searching and more searching, for OSCP)

This is one of the main reason i choose to tackle the OSCP. I am excited about diving into the mystery, no hand holding and running around with my head cut off for a good couple of months.

You'll have plenty of fun, and challenges in their lab as they are far from easy  :) They're offsec evil, in a good and the best way possible!  ;)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

Cthulhucalling

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:24 am

nicklauscombs wrote:now that i've had a few months off the study wagon after picking up my CCNP i have officially signed up for the OSCP with a start date of this sunday. i suppose this makes me a glutton for punishment but i'm really looking forward to this challenge. any encouraging words of advice would be much appreciated.

I guess that makes us classmates. Hopefully you're not the one who reset one of my boxes.
<<

nicklauscombs

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:15 pm

Cthulhucalling wrote:
nicklauscombs wrote:now that i've had a few months off the study wagon after picking up my CCNP i have officially signed up for the OSCP with a start date of this sunday. i suppose this makes me a glutton for punishment but i'm really looking forward to this challenge. any encouraging words of advice would be much appreciated.

I guess that makes us classmates. Hopefully you're not the one who reset one of my boxes.

ha can't say it was me though that really sucks. i've been amazed at the amount of note taking and documentation i've been doing during the initial enumeration process and how little else i've done in the lab so far.
<<

Cthulhucalling

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:21 pm

I spent the weekend playing around on the lab. I've popped a number of boxes, but I think they're the easier ones. I'm having a much more difficult time of it now. Frustration level is starting to climb a bit.
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:09 pm

You'll get boxes reset on you all the time. That's why its imperative to take detailed notes so you can quickly gain access again.......
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 pm

Nick, nice to see you on EH.

I'm going to try to knock out my OSWP in a couple of weeks, and then I'm going to be diving back into the OSCP (both have been outstanding for about a year now /lackoftime). Let me know if you want a study partner.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

nicklauscombs

Post Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 pm

dynamik wrote:Nick, nice to see you on EH.

I'm going to try to knock out my OSWP in a couple of weeks, and then I'm going to be diving back into the OSCP (both have been outstanding for about a year now /lackoftime). Let me know if you want a study partner.

absolutely, i'll be in there for at least 50 more days and more than likely will add another 30 to bump it up to 90 to get the most out of the labs. feel free to shoot over your email address once you sign up for the oscp.
<<

nicklauscombs

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:27 pm

??? :o :'( - that's been me the past fifteen days in the labs  :D :D.

so far the course has been wonderful and i really can't say enough good things about the learning materials. really if you have been thinking about signing up i would encourage you to do it asap.

after spending about 2 hours per days in the lab i finally had my aha moment and things have begun to click really well. when i signed up i purchased 60 days but im toying with the idea of extending it at least 15 if not 30 to really enable myself to dig deep in here and get some good quality lab time in.

anyone else in there right now?
<<

nicklauscombs

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:28 pm

dynamik hurry up and get in here!
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:18 pm

@nick: TRY HARDER  ;D You will have lots of FUN. IRC will be your new home....
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

TheXero

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:21 am

nicklauscombs, I originally took the 60 days of lab time, then got an extension for another 30 days.

Good luck with the course :)
Next

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional