Libata Framework - From a security point

<<

morpheus063

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:54 am

Libata Framework - From a security point

Hello All,

Was going through Gentoo Linux Documentation and came across Libata Framework. Couldn't find much information after a search. So would like to know if any one can throw some light on what is Libata and how it is unique or different from a security standpoint

Thanks in advance :)
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Libata Framework - From a security point

I think it might make more sense if you see it as lib ata.  (ata device driver libraries.)  I may be wrong, but in the context of that document link, I think that's what it is...

OK, so rather than plain laziness, I did google it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibATA
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

morpheus063

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 am

@hayabusa,

so lib ata (LibATA) is a Library according to wiki and not a framework as mentioned in the Gentoo Linux Documentation? Or they are inter-changeably using the words library and framework?

I did a search for libata framework (as mentioned in the first post) and couldn't find much.
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:04 am

As I understand it, I think you're correct, in that they used the term 'framework' rather loosely / vaguely / incorrectly.  It appears to actually be the libraries / API's for getting the proper ATA drivers functional, within the kernel.

This is based on / since, even in the context of the Gentoo docs, they were referring to storage drivers, etc.  So I just looked on libata, by itself, and that's the impression I came away with.

Hope it helps.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to Other