<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:32 pm

Fedora Core 6 Released

Get your copy at one of the many mirror sites:

http://fedoraproject.org/static-tmp/FedoraMirrors.html

Or even better, get a copy of the virtual machine, unzip it and start it up in VMware Server or Player. It's a faster download and no install time:

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory

Have fun,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:31 am

Re: Fedora Core 6 Released

As this new release gets in the hands of us techs, more reviews will begin to surface like this one from eWeek:

Fedora Core 6: Innovations Continue

Review: The fast-moving Red Hat distribution polishes SELinux, adds new tools and improves performance.

In its first five releases, Red Hat's Fedora Core has represented the Linux technology vanguard. And so it is with Fedora Core 6.

During tests, Fedora Core 6 impressed eWEEK Labs with the progress it has made toward making Security-Enhanced Linux—and the dramatically improved security protections that SELinux helps afford—more palatable. We also liked the look of Fedora Core's new graphical and command-line tools for managing Xen virtual machines, although, as with every Xen product we've yet tested, plenty of rough spots remain.

Solid security

One of Fedora Core 6's most distinctive features is its leading-edge support for SELinux, which bolsters the security of the Linux machines on which it's deployed by meting out to applications and users only those rights explicitly granted by policy.

Fedora Core 6 ships with a targeted policy turned on by default. The targeted policy covers a limited number of system services, and we could enable or disable specific protections through Fedora Core 6's security-level configuration tool.

New in Fedora Core is a handy troubleshooting tool for SELinux. This tool prompted us from the notification area in our system tray when an application we ran triggered an SELinux denial. For example, we installed VMware's VMware Workstation on one of our test machines but hit a wall while creating a new VM. We found on VMware's Web forum a familiar solution to our problem—deactivate SElinux.

Instead, we installed Fedora Core 6's new troubleshooting tool, restarted our test box and ran VMware Workstation again. This time, the troubleshooter informed us that SELinux had prevented VMware Workstation from making its stack executable. We were able to turn off this portion of SELinux's policy, and VMware Workstation then ran without problems.

For much more in the full review:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2048117,00.asp

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:00 am

anybody using this yet?  thoughts on it?
<<

Kev

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:47 am

I have been playing around with it a bit and so far I would say it is an improvement.  Some of the DMA issues seemed to be resolved, at least on the hardware I am using.  Kismet doesn’t seem to like it, but finally got it to work.  I did a side by side install on separate laptops of the latest Ubuntu and on the other Fedora core 6 and Ubuntu was a little easier getting packet injection going and some of the other more problematic security programs to operate. 
<<

p0et

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:23 pm

Would you see a benefit over using FC6 instead of Ubuntu?  I'm currently using neither.  I use WinXP and Gentoo.  I can't get audio or USB wireless support on that for the life of me though.  I absolutely love Gentoo's portage utility for downloading apps.  :D
GCIH, Security+, Network+, A+, MCP, DCSE
<<

Kev

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Right now I would say Ubuntu would be the way to go if you havent worked a lot with linux.

Return to Other