I'm a noob, Heres some questions :p

<<

SuperSlug

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 am

I'm a noob, Heres some questions :p

As the title says, I'm new to programming and, well being a white hat and I have a few questions.

I am currently learning C++ through a variety of sources on and offline. Is this a good general language to know as well as one to use to be a white hat?

I intend to use it for basic things, as well as I said before besides white hatting.

I have heard many people mention Python, but I want to know if C++ can be used the same way, if that makes any sense.

any advice/personal experienced is encouraged, thank you in advance!
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:26 am

Re: I'm a noob, Heres some questions :p

Are you trying to be an exploit developer? What are you trying to achieve exactly?
<<

idr0p

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:48 pm

I think C++ a good start to learn a compiler lang.. i would go into Python, C and Java after... maybe Ruby if you want to write Metasploit plugins.
GCIA GCIH GPEN GWAPT
Up Next: CISA CISSP
<<

j0rDy

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:13 am

is this your first programming language ever? C++ is a good language to start with. remember that programming is a mindset, and the language you use just the syntax, so if you go from there to any of the languages idr0p mentions, if will be a lot easier. good luck and keep programming, its the only way to learn!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

dbest

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:55 am

Knowing the concepts of programming and learning one language certainly helps you move to another language quicker.
In Uni, our studies were focussed around C++. However that didn't stop me from writing a script in Perl to automate patch anaylsis in Solaris. I then moved to PHP (non-security related) and now am trying to understand Python.
So the bottom line is that, learn the language that you are and then its easier to move to another language by understanding their syntax.

You will notice that majority of exploits are developed in C.
Ruby is used to code exploits for Metasploit.
Any scripting language like Ruby, Perl, Python will help you automate few tasks.
CISM, CEH, CISA, ISO 27001 LA
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 am

@dbest - back in the day the majority were written in C but these days the most are written in perl, python and ruby. Look at exploit-db.com and see how many exploits are in C.
<<

millwalll

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:43 pm

I think it all depends on if you had any experience. My first language was
Vb then Java then bits PHP and C I recently went thought 30 videos on Python and once you got the basic down its pretty much across the board exactly the same.

C++ I would not start with this as I personally think its too confusing dealing with memory management and other stuff
<<

SuperSlug

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:35 pm

Yes, this will be my first computer language for those who are wondering
<<

mesho

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:05 pm

never learn C++ because it's wortheless in the security area.

try to learn C you will understand Low Level concept better and more powerfull in dealing with memory than C++

after ending learning the C basics try to pick any script lang such as:
perl, python, ruby, and for sure i highly recommend Python you will know the reason by searching for the following keywords:
IDAPro, Immunity Debugger, Scapy

Thank you
<<

dbest

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:54 am

cd1zz wrote:@dbest - back in the day the majority were written in C but these days the most are written in perl, python and ruby. Look at exploit-db.com and see how many exploits are in C.

I have not looked at exploit-db.com of late. Apologize if I spread the wrong message.
CISM, CEH, CISA, ISO 27001 LA
<<

millwalll

Post Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:11 pm

I would personally start off with Python as its very useful and quick and easy without having to worry to much about the code. There was a good book going about on python called hello world there are lots good links and videos about on python.

There some links to tutorials on my page It easy to paste my link then relink it all

http://www.jamierougive.co.uk/tutorials.html
<<

SuperSlug

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:29 pm

I think I am going to learn C++ for now, since I have already started. I want to learn the basics of programming first before anything else happens. I will then go into Python and see what happens from there. Does this sound like a good idea?
<<

WCNA

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:01 am

Sure. Why not? It never hurts to learn. I personally would skip the C++ and go straight to python but that's me. I hate programming. If the C++ course is just the basics of programming and you know little about it, it's a good idea.
ISC2 Associate, WCNA, CWNA, OSCP, Network+

Return to Programming