From Web Development to Security; Way Forward?

<<

ogzille

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:50 am

From Web Development to Security; Way Forward?

I have been a web developer for 3 years now and am considering a career in security seriously.

My first degree is in computer science and I am considering taking a graduate degree in Info Security.

I came across WGU (Western Governors University) and their offering seems ok.

Has anybody gone through or has any info on WGU?
Is it actually the best route towards my security career?
Are there other pre-requisites necessary for my security career?
Do i go for a broad masters degree and do certs in security?

Please i need all your candid advice and opinions to enable me take a good decision.

Please i am only interested in online courses.

Thank you soo much!!!
<<

rattis

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:39 am

Re: From Web Development to Security; Way Forward?

Hey  ogzille,

Welcome to the forum. We've actually talked about WGU quite a bit around here. If you search, I'm thinking you'll find no less than 5 threads on the subject with some great links.

I wouldn't focus just on the degree though. Practice some hands on stuff in the meantime. Since you have a Web Developer background, how secure are the websites you've built? Maybe look into something like Hacking Exposed:Web Applications 3rd edition, or the Web Application Hacker's Handbook, and set something up like you've done for work to test in a lab.

I'm a little jaded because of the web devs at work, please don't take it personal.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

jimjohnson23

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:10 am

Not to hijack the thread, but I also have a couple of relevant questions:

1. Would it be difficult for web developers to break into network security by any chance? My rationale is that their skill sets are less relevant than let's say, a network administrator or a select few hell desk personnel.

2. Is there a large enough employment market for web applications pen testing? (large enough to be sought after) Or is a lot of this stuff pretty much done by web developers?
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:53 am

ogzille wrote:I have been a web developer for 3 years now and am considering a career in security seriously.

My first degree is in computer science and I am considering taking a graduate degree in Info Security.

I came across WGU (Western Governors University) and their offering seems ok.

Has anybody gone through or has any info on WGU?
Is it actually the best route towards my security career?
Are there other pre-requisites necessary for my security career?
Do i go for a broad masters degree and do certs in security?

Please i need all your candid advice and opinions to enable me take a good decision.

Please i am only interested in online courses.

Thank you soo much!!!

How many security classes have you taken?

I am currently in a Masters info sec degree and would say if you have taken no security classes in the past I would recommend taking the classes.  You said you have a comp sci degree what classes did you take to get this degree?

The way I took number 1 was that info sec skill sets are less relevant that net admin or help desk personnel? If so that is an insult to every info sec person here, I would say there skill set is more relevant than help desk or net admin because info sec skills build on both of those skill sets.

Next I went to career builder and typed in web application pen testing and about 1000 jobs came up so I would say its large enough.
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

jimjohnson23

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:18 pm

That's the thing - I'm curious as to whether taking university infosec courses would be worth the buck. You see, they require certain mathematics courses, and each course costs about $3000... but I want to take about three, then that's $9000. Add the presumably useless math course, that's $12000.

I'm not sure if it's worth it for me to invest that kind of money -.- when taking certification courses or pen testing courses is gonna be far more relevant.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:45 am

http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/institutions.shtml

Take a look at this site above and any school listed close to you will have info sec classes much much much cheaper then you are seen at this site.  I pay like 175 to 250 for a credit hour total of about 1500 a sem trust me 12000 for a sem is ridiculous.
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

jbt52

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:14 pm

If it is a matter of certs vs college, certs are always going to be cheaper

Return to Career Central