OSCP - what general knowledge needed?

<<

destro_23

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:04 pm

OSCP - what general knowledge needed?

Hey guys i've done some programming in the past and for the past 3-4 years have done mostly DBA work on unix machines..

my question is what general skills/ languages are needed to start working for the OSCP?

i've done basic *nix and have only made simple shell scripts to dump databases and do some other tasks.

But is there anything else i should polish up on before i put up $950?

should i take the $3000 CEH first? Will the Offensive Security assume i already know "perl?

I want to sign up soon but don't want to waist time having to read up on certain scripting languages when i can do it ahead of time

thanks for any input
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: OSCP - what general knowledge needed?

All your questions are answered in  OSCP forum.
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

alucian

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:23 pm

Instead of putting 3000$ in CEH I suggest you to read one or two security books (you find plenty of references here), or you can read a CEH book.

Then buy the course (OSCP), and buy as much lab as you need. Even if you'll buy 3 extra month will cost you cheaper and you'll know more than CHE alone.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

j0rDy

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:53 am

Copy/Paste from the OffSec site:

Prerequisites
Pentesting with BackTrack is an entry-level course but still requires students to have certain knowledge prior to attending the class. A solid understanding of TCP/IP, networking, and reasonable Linux skills are required. This course is not for the faint of heart, it requires practice, testing, and the ability to want to learn in a manner that will grow your career in the information security field and defeat learning plateau’s. Offensive Security challenges you to rise above the rest, dive into the fine arts of advanced penetration testing, and “Try Harder”.

alucian: i dont agree with you (fully), CEH provides a good basic when you are new to security, or ethical hacking in general. OSCP takes you into the deep trenches where you will learn things that are completely out of scope at CEH. You can't compare the two even the slightest.
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

rattis

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:41 am

Another thread going on, on the forum right now, talks about the CEH and some options. I'm looking at the buy about 150.00 in books and study on my own option. Now to come up with the spare $150.00 for books. ;)
OSWP, Sec+
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:23 pm

I like that idea, that is what I am going to do got the books just have not put the study in yet trying to get a few other certs out of the way first.
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+

Return to Security