Great
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

Joshsevo

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: Is it a mistake

Here's the new portion of my CV

------------------------------------------

Although I enjoyed my time at college, my graduation has allowed me to spend more time learning more about the field that I was able to before.  During my downtime I have been studying for my Network + certification and have set a high goal for myself to achieve a few more certifications related to the Computer Forensics and Network Security field.  My next few certifications that I will be aiming for are: CCE, CHFI, GCFE, CEH, CPT, ACE and also my EnCe.
Security+, Network+, C|EH, CHFI, CPT
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:02 pm

Want to give a time frame this will show you are goal orientated.
<<

rattis

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:52 pm

I'll send you one of mine when I get home. I usually write them fresh for every job, but I think I might have one or so saved somewhere. I usually get interviews. Or at least I did, when I was looking for a job.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:53 pm

You mind hooking me up too, I will take knowledge where I can get it :-D
<<

Joshsevo

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:06 pm

No don't give it to this guy^^he's trying to compete with for jobs.. jk
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:25 pm

I am on the other side of the country, so should not get in you way to much.  To bad you are not still in school, the DoD has a summer internship every year and most schools are involved.  Which I did and got to do a lot of networking.
<<

Joshsevo

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Ya wont happen, even though I have a clearance my wife isn't from this country so I had a DOD job lined up by a member on this forum but since she isn't from here I got shot down by the security dept.  Kinda BS a bit because she's been here for most of her life and we have been married for 6 yrs and have kid.  But whatever I guess, I wanted the job so bad but it needed a TS/SCI Full scope poly.

Besides I've applied at the NSA,CIA for the summer internts and since I am 32 and needed a certain $$ amount they did not accept me.

But I got an email from the CIA a few weeks ago and they said they are going to keep my resume if something comes up.
<<

rattis

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Ok... This is an cold call one. Kind of. It was set up through an associate of mine. It actually took him 2 months of trying to get me to email the owner of the company. By then, my associate had talked me up enough that they had been waiting for it. The interview as a couple of hours long. I however had issue with the mail server getting emails from the hiring manager. Still do on occasion. I was really looking for more info of what to study than a job at the time.

I've done some editing.
----

REDACTED,

I was told to contact you by MY_ASSOCIATE. I'm a regular at LOCAL_SECURITY_GROUP, and currently looking to further my career. ASSOCIATE suggested that you would be a good person to talk to. He has spoken very highly of your company REDACTED_COMPANY.

I have a background in networking, firewalls, some wireless networking, and Linux administration. I have done some security auditing, mostly searches through logs for company policy violation. When I was contracted to LARGE_COMPANY, part of my duties was to do wireless audits of the FACILITIES.

I'm currently preparing to take Offensive Security's WiFU class. I'm waiting on hardware to arrive prior to starting the course. I wrote a book review of Hacking for Dummies, 3rd edition, published by the Ethical Hacker's network in April. The review is viewable at http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/301/2/

I'm wondering if it would be possible to do lunch in the near future. I'd like to go over my skills and resume with you, get your opinion and if you know of any companies that may be interested in me.

Thank you,
ME
---

Another one, again edited. Also lead to interviews.

====

Dear Ms. REDACTED_HEAD_HUNTER,

This is in regards to CONTRACT_HOUSE posting on Dice.com for a Network Engineer position in CITY STATE. Position ID: NUMBERS / Dice ID: MORE NUMBERS.

I have several years experience in planning, designing, implementing, managing and troubleshooting networks of various sizes. Most recently was the design of a network to go from 1 centralized location with data center at that location and two satellite offices, to a distributed network spread over five locations with a co-located data center. The design and implementation included several Cisco layer 2/3 switches and multiple Cisco ASA firewalls.

My CCNA expired in YEAR, when I took it in YEAR_TAKEN there were no expiration dates, and hold 2 current secuirty related certifications.

I look forward to speaking with you on this position in more detail, and how I could fit the HEAD_HUNTER's client needs.

ME
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Joshsevo

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:10 pm

These are good as well as the people that PM'd me about stuff.

Looking over these you are giving examples of individual jobs that you have done at one time or another. I have nothing like that related to anything IT. SO unless I pull stuff out my ass (which I won't) I just have nothing. 

Also another thing to think about.  I am looking for any job.  I just talked to my school about a software testing job looking for bugs in new DB's.  So I am stepping out the normal things I would apply for. 

But my point is that I need a resume that is just generic.  Aimed at any IT job cause if I go for this software job how is gonna look when I show them my resume and it shows nothing even closely related to the job description.  So it has to be a very general resume.  This is tough because a good HR person should be able to see right through this and the first time I get offered a Security or Forensics job I'm outta there and they may pick up on that and not hire me.

But we will see where this goes
<<

rattis

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:14 pm

So pull on experiences from the classes. Worked in groups, talk about that. Tutored other students, talk about that. talk up the generalities about your internship. The point is, to find something they are doing, and drawing a line to something in your cover letter, so they'll want to read your resume.

The one you had posted above, was too broad, and talked about more than you should have. What works for me in the Mid-West, is to treat it like an elevator pitch. You have 30 seconds to get their attention, if your lucky, 10 every other time.

Short, sweet, and pointed.  :)
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Joshsevo

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:12 am

Ok, I will work on it some more.  The tips you gave me and the wording you did I looked at mine and worked on it.  I applied at a bunch of jobs last night and got one response already for a Computer Forensics job.....He said there was no way around the TS/SCI polygraph and since i don;t have it he couldn't do anything with me.  I will email him again and ask him about my resume and what he thought about it.
<<

Joshsevo

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:18 am

So this guy and I have been talking through email and I aske dhim about my resume I sent him last night and he said other than one small part I would have been called in for an interview.  But since I don't have a TS/SCI that's the only reason he can't.

So that was promising. :)  Looks like I am on the right track.
<<

Joshsevo

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:19 pm

Had a few good opportunities pass me by.

One of the jobs that someone forwaded to me on here for a computer Forensics job in VA didn't workout cause I didn;t have a TS/SCI clearance which I understood but I then asked him about my resume and what I should change and had I had a TS clearance would I have been called back for an interview. 

He replied that my reume was great and that I would have been at the top for the job.  He mentioned that as a recent graduate I need to get some certs to break into the community.  He gave some good insight and some tips but otherwise was a great canidate for the job.

So had a weird dream last night about me still being in the Navy and getting a TS clearance.  Weird I know.  Dream ended after getting it.
<<

Joshsevo

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:29 pm

So I have an interview with a Data recovery firm here in town that does thing like physically fixing HDD's and such.  But they are trying to get into the investigation side of things cause they use FTK & EnCe all the time to recover the data.

It's seems interesting as they do all types of recoveries inlcuding RAIDS, servers.  Company is called Data Tech labs, Anyone heard of them?
PreviousNext

Return to Career Central