Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Re: Is it a mistake

I would say yeah to that question
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

jimjohnson23

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:15 pm

El33tsamurai wrote:I agree on this as well, you take what you can get and make the best of it.  I took a Oracle data basing job thinking to myself whee is this going to get me.  Well turned out had the networking guys on my left and the Info sec guys on my right and man did I learn alot.  You never know where a job is going to take you :-D.

I'm actually thinking about going this route: the database route, instead of the graduate and go straight into infosec route. I'm hoping that I can go the database developer --> dba route, and perhaps pick up a lot of networking tasks on the job.

Do you think that some of your co-workers would be willing to let you "shadow" them while they're trying to configure and install things overnight? What specifically have you learned from these guys? Thank!
<<

jimjohnson23

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:19 pm

El33tsamurai wrote:
Adding random people on Lunkedin is a start but man you have to get out in your community, go to local business and ask to speak to the head of the IT department: Hey I am new to the field just stopping by to see if you have any jobs or know any one that does.  This way they have a name with a face so when they see resumes they will remember you.  You have to get out there and show CO you passion to be a info sec person.

I'm literally considering doing this every weekend - like map out every company that would have anything that resembles an IT department, visit them, and ask them for a job or connect me with people.

But what do you suggest me to wear??
What do you think is a good opening line and small talk topic?
I'm sort of socially awkward >.<
<<

Joshsevo

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Awkward as in..you have a large unsightly growth on your neck that I would stare at while you talk to me. lol,jk
Security+, Network+, C|EH, CHFI, CPT
<<

Joshsevo

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:28 pm

OK guys here's what I am willing to do and to show proof I will put up my CV that I just typed up a few mins ago.  I have many copies but it needed to be redone as I recently graduated a few days ago.

I will apply for all the jobs I can on the mentioned boards...Monster, Dice, Indeed, etc... and see where it gets me.

If you think I should change something on my CV let me know.  I will listen and see if they fit.

Here's my CV,

------------------------------------------------
Dear hiring manager:
I am currently a recent graduate with a Bachelors degree in Computer Information systems with dual majors, Computer Forensics & Network Security.  For the past year I've had a internship with a local Computer Forensics firm where I handled cases that ranged from fraud, company espionage, to Child Exploitation.

Throughout the cases that I worked on I was tasked with bookmarking suspected emails, documents, pictures as well as finding recent internet activity.  Then finding any links that associated the user to those links and the times they were accessed.  The software that was used to bookmark these pieces of evidence was FTK 3 and also EnCase.  Other software that was used in conjunction with the cases was FTK, Imager, FTK Registry viewer. 
Other duties that I was tasked with was writing reports using MS Word 2010 (One note) and also using pre-made "search words" to look for the evidence left behind by the suspect.  Using the proper Chain of Custody during the acquisition and throughout the entire life of the case/HD is something that is second nature to me. 

I am currently Comptia Security+ certified and currently working on my CCE, CHFI, GCFE, CEH, CPT, Network+.  All at the same time.  I also currently have an Active Secret Clearance from the 5 years that I served in the United States Navy.  During my time in the Navy I was able to see many places but also they taught me how to be a leader and to excel in tough situations.  I was promoted to shop supervisor  as an E-4 and in charge of E-5 with 15 yrs of experience. 

I have been recently accepted into the FBI's Infragard National Security Protection community which an FBI background check is required.
I am willing to travel extensively and also relocate for the job if it requires it.
May I arrange an interview to further discuss my qualifications?  I am available for an interview at a mutually convenient time.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
XXXXXX
<<

rattis

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:30 am

jimjohnson23 wrote:Do you think that some of your co-workers would be willing to let you "shadow" them while they're trying to configure and install things overnight? What specifically have you learned from these guys? Thank!

Depends on the co-worker and their views. I have one co-worker if you ask to shadow her, she stays home for a week until the work is done. I have another one that will say "Hey I'm doing this, go jump on this webex if you want to see it".

Me, I'm the come here, sit down, now type what I tell you kind.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

rattis

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:41 am

jimjohnson23 wrote:I'm literally considering doing this every weekend - like map out every company that would have anything that resembles an IT department, visit them, and ask them for a job or connect me with people.

They tried pushing that on me in college, in the career building class. It's a bit of bull really. All you do by showing up is anger people. It's like cold calling but worse.

As for what to wear, full on business like a consultant trying to score a contract. Full suit if you can. Dress up nice. Dress shirt, tie, sports coat, nice slacks, polished shoes. You get the idea.

Really, start a blog and get on twitter. Start making friends on there. You'll see people mentioning job postings all the time in the infosec community. See if you can get find a project that needs help.

Find Don's invest in your self talk and listen to it.

Hit me up on twitter if you want. @rattis
OSWP, Sec+
<<

rattis

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 am

Having been a person who reviews the resumes, your cover letter would get ignored and if your resume didn't scream teachable to me, I'd toss it.

It's too generic. Really try to do some research on each company find out what they do and what they use, and focus it in on them.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:31 am

jimjohnson23 wrote:
El33tsamurai wrote:I agree on this as well, you take what you can get and make the best of it.  I took a Oracle data basing job thinking to myself whee is this going to get me.  Well turned out had the networking guys on my left and the Info sec guys on my right and man did I learn alot.  You never know where a job is going to take you :-D.

I'm actually thinking about going this route: the database route, instead of the graduate and go straight into infosec route. I'm hoping that I can go the database developer --> dba route, and perhaps pick up a lot of networking tasks on the job.

Do you think that some of your co-workers would be willing to let you "shadow" them while they're trying to configure and install things overnight? What specifically have you learned from these guys? Thank!

Hell yeah if it means they produce more because you are helping dude trust me everyone eats up the new guy thats willing to learn everything.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:33 am

jimjohnson23 wrote:
El33tsamurai wrote:
Adding random people on Lunkedin is a start but man you have to get out in your community, go to local business and ask to speak to the head of the IT department: Hey I am new to the field just stopping by to see if you have any jobs or know any one that does.  This way they have a name with a face so when they see resumes they will remember you.  You have to get out there and show CO you passion to be a info sec person.

I'm literally considering doing this every weekend - like map out every company that would have anything that resembles an IT department, visit them, and ask them for a job or connect me with people.

Business casual but man going on the weekend is not a good idea, because the big guys are not going to be there.  If you can get a Wednesday or Thursday that might work better, I know you work full time but see what you can do.
<<

Joshsevo

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:37 am

On my old CV I had that I paid for the InfoSec institue class $3500 and the SANS 408 computer Forensics course $4000 out my own pocket, which I did cause I want to learn all this stuff. This showed desire and a wanting to learn at any cost. But I remved it and wrote this one last night as I felt it was rather dry and didn't get any hits on it.  I even had it professionally written for me and still got nothing.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:38 am

chrisj wrote:
jimjohnson23 wrote:I'm literally considering doing this every weekend - like map out every company that would have anything that resembles an IT department, visit them, and ask them for a job or connect me with people.

They tried pushing that on me in college, in the career building class. It's a bit of bull really. All you do by showing up is anger people. It's like cold calling but worse.

I must disagree where I live IT people that I went around to ate it up they love it.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:50 am

Joshsevo wrote:On my old CV I had that I paid for the InfoSec institue class $3500 and the SANS 408 computer Forensics course $4000 out my own pocket, which I did cause I want to learn all this stuff. This showed desire and a wanting to learn at any cost. But I remved it and wrote this one last night as I felt it was rather dry and didn't get any hits on it.  I even had it professionally written for me and still got nothing.

Your trying to get a job if you email them saying hey I paid this much for these certs they are going think ow a little rich boy why does she need this job? 

With your CV sorry dude but its going to be hard to find a full time job without the CCE.

Next having all of these: CCE, CHFI, GCFE, CEH, CPT, Network+ as the same time is like saying your going to Disney World and your going to ride all the rides at the same time.  What you want to do is say

RELEVANT CERTIFICATIONS
• Secret Security Clearance
• CompTIA: Security+
These Certifications will be attained in the next 12 months.
• Network+
• CEH
• CCE
and so forth but saying you are working on the all at the same time people we start to think maybe this guy is a paper cert meaning you don't know the stuff you just went to a site got the questions and took the test.  Its all about the wording, did you career people tell you that or did they sell you short?

May I arrange an interview to further discuss my qualifications?
This line is iffy some might like it other might put you on the out pile.

I am not trying to be mean man please don't take it that way I am just trying to help from my past experiences.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:51 am

chrisj wrote:Having been a person who reviews the resumes, your cover letter would get ignored and if your resume didn't scream teachable to me, I'd toss it.

It's too generic. Really try to do some research on each company find out what they do and what they use, and focus it in on them.

Agreed! The companies website is your best friend!
<<

Joshsevo

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Not taking as offensive so keep the comments coming.  I can reword it so it sounds better. 

I will remove the last line about the interview, personally I never liked it as it sounded like I was being too pushy.
PreviousNext

Return to Career Central