New Horizons CEH Training?

<<

taargus taargus

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:25 am

New Horizons CEH Training?

I will be doing a live online course for my CEH through New Horizons next month.  Has anyone here had any experience, good or bad, with them?  It's a 5-day course, and I like the fact that I have the option to repeat the course, either live or on-site, within six months after taking the initial course.  I was even able to get them to include the voucher cost in with the training course.

Apart from that, I'm also in the process of setting up some physical and virtual machines in my office/lab.  Any suggestions on what kinds of systems I should include?  I've got a Metasploitable VM, a Lucid Lynx box, and a Windows XP SP2 box in my VLAN now.  What have you guys used in your labs?
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Re: New Horizons CEH Training?

I did my CEH training through New Horizons a few years back and was not happy with the experience. For the cost (~$2500), I would have learned just the same from purchasing the courseware and studying on my own (~$750). Or better yet, the EC|Press series (5 books, ~$150).
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:05 pm

I should probably add that it all depends on your instructor. Get the bio from New Horizons before the course starts (if you haven't already).
<<

crxssoutheyes

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Would anyone care to share a list of the programs and software included with the coursework package for this particular boot camp (or any CEH boot camp, for that matter).  ;D
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:45 pm

It's too large of a list...

With the CEHv7 kit you'll get 5 DVDs (4 full of tools/documents, 1 is a bootable backtrack/linux distro).

Backtrack is v4, the linux distro is some "CEH" distro but I haven't booted/looked at it.

You also get two course books, a backpack, and a shirt.
<<

rattis

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Hey BillV, quick question. How long do you think the self study would take?
OSWP, Sec+
<<

dbest

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:12 am

chrisj wrote:Hey BillV, quick question. How long do you think the self study would take?

When I studied for the CEH v5, I didnt spend more than 1 calendar month. This included my daily routine work, etc.

I have had past experience in the industry so that helped me breeze through majority of the lessons.
CISM, CEH, CISA, ISO 27001 LA
<<

venom77

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:29 am

I would agree with the above - I don't think it would take you more than a month, so long as you have some time to dedicate to it.

The v7 books are nowhere near as large as older versions, like v5. You should be able to get through the courseware (or the EC-Press books) in about a week or two. Take another week to create a study guide and prepare for the exam.
<<

rattis

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:13 am

I was looking at the books on the EC-Council site last night. Thinking of getting those and trying to get the CEH out of the way between now and September.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

taargus taargus

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Just received my course materials this afternoon.  Tons of material.  Looking through everything, I'm feeling pretty confident about how I'll end up performing.  This is a wonderful opportunity to fill in the knowledge gaps that I have as well. 

I got the instructor's bio the other day, and he is VASTLY certified.  I'm just hoping he proves to be a good teacher. 

I haven't dug through this too far yet, and haven't gotten much info from New Horizons, but is Frankenstein 1.0 included with 7.1, or is that something that only EC-Council's training offers?
<<

venom77

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:54 pm

Frankenstein is an instructor-only system.
<<

taargus taargus

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Well, I've completed day three of my five-day course.  I plan on writing up a review afterward, so I don't want to post too much here just yet.  Just a quick update so far:  

My instructor is excellent and very willing to help the class with any problems they may have.  I don't know how the rest of NH's instructors stack up, but I'm very happy with mine.  v7.1 seems to have far less technical / layout problems than people have reported with 7.0.

I do, however, feel that I perhaps should have chosen a more advanced course/cert.  I feel that I could probably test out of this with some light studying.  Everyone is different, though, so I wouldn't suggest that route to everyone.  I'm very glad I'm going through the course, as I've learned some pretty cool things so far, and I'm solidifying my knowledge in topics I'm already familiar with.

I'll post a full day-by-day review after my course is complete.
Last edited by taargus taargus on Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

wmburke

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:43 am

Glad you are enjoying the class, its always a good idea to ask the instructor how many real world Pen Tests they have done, that way you can better understand if he is teaching based on theory or both real world experience and theory.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail"
Abraham Maslow
<<

taargus taargus

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:32 pm

I kinda feel strange asking him that, but he seems to be speaking from experience on a lot of this stuff.  I'd like to think that I can sense my own, and he's definitely a True Geek (that's a very good thing IMO.)

Overall, this has been a good experience and I can't say enough good about the instructor.  However, there are still some major issues with a couple of the modules in CEH 7.1.  Our instructor is working as we speak with an SQL guy on fixing the SQLi module in the course, as we had to skip it and the XSS section today.  Hopefully they can get things patched up by tomorrow and we can finish up on those. 
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Sounds familiar... :-(
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker