New to EH-Net... Hi!

<<

taargus taargus

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:02 pm

New to EH-Net... Hi!

Just wanted to drop in and say hello before posting on the forums.  This site looks to be an excellent resource.  So funny how ethical hackers seem to have a better grasp of civility and lack of trolling nature as compared to the others.  That's going on what I've seen here so far, anyway.  :)

A little bit about myself:  I've been in the IT field for about 12 years now and have always been security-oriented (we'll just say my formative teenage years were a lot of fun.)  As I've grown up, I've worked my way into being the sysadmin/one-man IT show for a very respectable local accounting firm.  I've used my Linux skills to build a VoIP system for them and have made substantial improvements to the firm's IT structure as a whole.  Perform pentests with BT every three months or so, and keep sharpening the blade as time goes on.

Long story short, it's time to get my skills onto paper and to make some money doing pentesting for clients during my admin downtime.  Management has approved my CEH training, and I'm sure our firm can use the knowledge gained from the training for our own network's security.  Certainly won't stop at the CEH, as there's ALWAYS more to learn. 

Anyway, glad to be here, and am enjoying my lurking of the discussion boards so far!
<<

dbest

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:15 am

Re: New to EH-Net... Hi!

Welcome to the site. I have been a regular visitor here, but signed up recently.

With regards to CEH, I would advice you to get a good testing lab and practice the tools. I am sure your real life experience will give you an edge over some others at the training. CEH does provide with exposure to different types of attacks and their countermeasures, but a bit of self study will be needed to get some in-depth knowledge.
CISM, CEH, CISA, ISO 27001 LA
<<

taargus taargus

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:18 am

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll keep adding more devices/VMs to my test LAN.  Any suggestions for Linux targets besides Metasploitable?  Perhaps some older versions of CentOS or RHEL?
Last edited by taargus taargus on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:37 am

Welcome to the site, there has been alot of talk about the OSCP and from what I have learnt from the people so far is everyone agrees its a must take course for info sec.  I plan on taking it as well, you should take a look at the forum and the website.
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

labamba

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:52 am

Welcome to the site! I'm sure you would a fantastic time here. This is a great resource. Hope you'll love your stay here as much as I do! Cheers!

Return to Greetings