Networking Question

<<

SithLord2K

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Networking Question

I have been searching for hours with not too much in the way of luck. What I am trying to do is set up my home network to be a bit more secure and I figure I could do this is I had a second subnet for wireless, for boxes not needing internet access, such as vulnerable test systems. However I have 1 router which I beleive is a Linksys WRT54G (I'm currently at work so I can't be 100% sure right now) . This router has stock firmware that has been updated. I had this idea while at work this evening and thought to research it. I have been hit and miss with information however. I thought I had my answer within the DD-WRT site but I think I was off by a long shot when I realized that method required 2 routers. Is there a way that anyone knows of to have 2 subnets with one router.

What I'm trying to figure out.

Wired LAN - Subnet 1
Wireless LAN - Subnet 2

Thank you in advance for any answer whether it be yes or know.

When I get home I will poke around in the setting to see what I can find out as well.
???
<<

rattis

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Networking Question

Look into setting up Vlans
OSWP, Sec+
<<

SithLord2K

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:23 pm

chrisj wrote:Look into setting up Vlans

Thank you chrisj for pointing me in the right direction.  :D

I found the information I was looking for. Now to find out the exact specs on my router so I can download the correct DD-WRT.
<<

rattis

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:41 pm

Glad you found what you need from the hint. good luck.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

SithLord2K

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:30 pm

After more research I cannot use DD-WRT on my router since it seems my router is a WRT54G v5.0 which neutered or lacking in RAM. They have a micro version which would work but all the info I found about it says it's not really worth it. Time to upgrade I guess lol Thanks for all the help
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Look into Linksys business class works great and will give you vlan capability. 
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

SithLord2K

Post Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:18 pm

Yeah right now with a new baby anything above and beyond what I already have at least for now. I will keep it in mind though.

I love this site
<<

MaXe

Post Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:10 pm

SithLord2K wrote: Is there a way that anyone knows of to have 2 subnets with one router.

What I'm trying to figure out.

Wired LAN - Subnet 1
Wireless LAN - Subnet 2

Actually, A LOT of routers does that! They separate the wired (ethernet) and the wireless (802.11) into 2 different LAN segments. It's really smart when people buy a wireless printer and use a cable to their computer, and then they can't access the printer. (No kidding, I've had A LOT of support tickets about that, when I worked for a printer manufacturer.)

Some routers can or will use the same subnet for both the wired and the wireless network, while others can bridge the two. It really depends on the router, but with DD-WRT (a decent model please, don't overclock it), you should be fine.

Just make absolutely SURE that you get the _right_ model number! (Even if it's like a D-Link Iforgotthename123, they also have model numbers like DLIFN[X]123, which is not accurate compared to the real deal, but the X defines the model which is essential if you're going to play with DD-WRT.
I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to Networking