Which certification to get?

<<

bobismighty

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:17 am

Which certification to get?

This is probably a pretty common question, and I did read through some of the threads on here, but wanted to start my own.

I have a network heavy background and have always been into security stuff on the side. I've got a few networking certs, as well as a CEH(which recently expired) and I took/passed the ELearnSecurity pentest course/exam.

I was going to go recertify in CEH, but figured it really hasn't done me much good and I may be better off getting something new. I thought maybe CISSP or GPEN, but both options look pretty expensive. I'm confused on some of the info about GPEN and also don't have any training sessions close to me.
The Cisco Security certs looked interesting to me too, but I don't know much about them.

Right now my job doesn't require much security training, other than an occasional security audit and mild penetration testing, but I would like my next job to be more security related.

What would be a good option for my next cert that will help me learn new things, look good on a resume, and also not empty my bank account?

Thanks!
<<

adl

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: Which certification to get?

perhaps Offensive Security Certs? since SANS trainings are very expensive..  ;)
Working on: CCNA
goals: CCNA, Security+, CEH 7
<<

dbest

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:11 pm

If you are gonna be studying in your free time, then I would just OSCP.
CISM, CEH, CISA, ISO 27001 LA
<<

bobismighty

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Is OSCP very widely recognized? I would be doing it mostly in my free time, although I sometimes have time at work to study as well.
I'm going to read more about OSCP and see.
<<

Methodikal

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:00 pm

bobismighty wrote:Is OSCP very widely recognized? I would be doing it mostly in my free time, although I sometimes have time at work to study as well.

I would say that its getting up there in terms of recognition. But more importantly, you'll learn ALOT and it will give you the hands on that you didn't get with the CEH. I'm taking it right now and I love the pain I'm experiencing.  ;D
Got EIP?
<<

tturner

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:30 am

bobismighty wrote:Is OSCP very widely recognized? I would be doing it mostly in my free time, although I sometimes have time at work to study as well.

If they don't recognize it, you probably don't want to work there. I'd say among most informed security professionals who hold certifications in disdain, they usually have a begrudging respect for OSCP/E.
Certifications:
CISSP, CISA, GPEN, GWAPT, GAWN, GCIA, GCIH, GSEC, GSSP-JAVA, OPSE, CSWAE, CSTP, VCP

WIP: Vendor WAF stuff

http://sentinel24.com/blog @tonylturner http://bsidesorlando.org
<<

bobismighty

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:34 am

Awesome, thanks for the advice. It looks like that may be the way to go for me. I'm going to do a little more research on it and find a good time to do it. From what I read, it's a painful but fun experience.

Return to Network Pen Testing