forum position

<<

El33tsamurai

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:02 pm

forum position

I am sorry if this has been asked before or if its listed somewhere else.  But how do that forum position work and how do you move up from newbie?
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

rattis

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Re: forum position

You'll find out in time.

They really don't mean much.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Newbie Under 50
Jr. Member 50
Full Member 100
Sr. Member 250
Hero Member 500

Only the kewl kids are Full Members and above ;-)

Just kidding. chrisj is correct. It's just a count of how many posts someone has. Nothing to read too much into.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

lorddicranius

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:53 pm

don wrote:It's just a count of how many posts someone has. Nothing to read too much into.

I really like that about this forum.  I was an admin at another forum, and it got to the point where people were so worried about "gaining rank" that nothing of value was ever posted.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:13 pm

I see, thanks alot everyone.
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

Ignatius

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:23 am

I used to visit a forum where it was forbidden to post simple "thank you" or "great news" etc. messages.  Such "airy" posts were not regarded as a valuable contribution to the thread and the mods came down hard by making a public declaration about, or banning, such users.  The idea behind this was to minimise the number of posts that the mods had to moderate and also made the various membership levels more valid.  It would be easy for me to find a random 100 posts and add a comment such as "Wow, that's interesting" which would immediately take my membership level up a couple of notches.  However, I would know that I didn't really deserve it and a quick search of my posts would show that I'm new to the scene and definitely ask more questions than I answer.
<<

MaXe

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:06 am

Ignatius wrote:I used to visit a forum where it was forbidden to post simple "thank you" or "great news" etc. messages.  Such "airy" posts were not regarded as a valuable contribution to the thread and the mods came down hard by making a public declaration about, or banning, such users.  The idea behind this was to minimise the number of posts that the mods had to moderate and also made the various membership levels more valid.  It would be easy for me to find a random 100 posts and add a comment such as "Wow, that's interesting" which would immediately take my membership level up a couple of notches.  However, I would know that I didn't really deserve it and a quick search of my posts would show that I'm new to the scene and definitely ask more questions than I answer.

It isn't just to limit the amount of posts to moderate. It's also to keep most "worthless" content out.
I know it's harsh words, but there's a reason why many hacking communities are like that. They don't want a database of 1 million posts saying "thank you". They would rather want 50'000 threads with good content, or 1 million posts with constructive feedback and critique, not necessarily both always.  :)
I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net