OSCP vs Hacking Dojo

<<

El33tsamurai

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:12 pm

OSCP vs Hacking Dojo

I am really think about taking the OSCP class and cert but also saw Hacking Dojo which is better?
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+
<<

rattis

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Re: OSCP vs Hacking Dojo

I haven't done the OSCP, but Hacking Dojo basically walks you through understanding a frame work involved in doing pentesting. You can take the exam to move up to the next section. I've only done the Shodan class. I liked it. For the Hacking Dojo, you'll get more out of it, if you can build your own lab to play with as you go.

PWB / OSCP is on my list to do in the near future, but want more basics before I jump in to it.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

cd1zz

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:35 pm

Does Hacking Dojo have a live lab environment? From my basic searches it doesn't appear so. I think that's one of the most valuable (and funnest) parts of OSCP. You actually have to execute the concepts that they taught you in a foreign environment.

+1 for OSCP
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:09 pm

That is what I was thinking too, I really want to get in that lab.  But then the price tag of the other was less.  Wanted to make sure if they did have a live lab then maybe it would be worth it.
<<

rattis

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Nope, no live lab. Which really is why I haven't done any of the homework, because I need to build new lab.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

lorddicranius

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Hacking Dojo provides you with vulnerable ISO's to work with.  It requires you to either have an spare machine to use, or just use a virtual environment (VMWare Player/Workstation, VirtualBox, etc).  I think most of us students have gone the virtual environment route.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

j0rDy

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:01 am

somehow i think providing VM's is a better solution. I know i haven't touched quite a few of the systems that are in the OSCP labs, which is a shame cause good practise is hard to get. i know its probably wishful thinking but if OSCP would provide all the systems as VM's i would have learned even more then i already did! then again they would have to rethink the whole 30/60/90 day access concept...
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

millwalll

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:26 am

I guess it all depends on your experience if you are pretty new to security then Hackingdojo. If you can write bash script and know networking,bit programming,basic metasploit,nmap ect then OSCP

However Hackingdojo is really good course it teaches you what you doing rather than how to use tools so you have a much better understanding of things.

I have not done the OSCP yet but from what I heard its not easy and I would say it was more aimed at someone who has maybe a years pen testing experience.
<<

Darktaurus

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:35 am

I have not taken the HackingDojo course but I know the OSCP course teaches you most of the steps in a pentest.  The thing I was most impressed with, was the Pentest report.  That teaches you to organize your thoughts and hacks, then present them in a very detailed and comprehensible report. 

I was able to achieve and recreate each hack just by going thru my notes and practicing.  That really helps when you think of the number of machines that you are attacking.  If I had to pick, I would still go with the OSCP.  I think a beginner can get thru the course.  It just may require more time than someone with more experience. 
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

rattis

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:12 am

lorddicranius wrote:Hacking Dojo provides you with vulnerable ISO's to work with.  It requires you to either have an spare machine to use, or just use a virtual environment (VMWare Player/Workstation, VirtualBox, etc).  I think most of us students have gone the virtual environment route.

My virtual environment is overloaded at the moment (runs on my laptop). ;)
So I really do need a new box just for running the VM environment for a lab.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:07 pm

lorddicranius wrote:Hacking Dojo provides you with vulnerable ISO's to work with.  It requires you to either have an spare machine to use, or just use a virtual environment (VMWare Player/Workstation, VirtualBox, etc).  I think most of us students have gone the virtual environment route.

A vm is just not as real as a real machine you know what I mean? 
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:12 pm

Jamie.R wrote:I guess it all depends on your experience if you are pretty new to security then Hackingdojo. If you can write bash script and know networking,bit programming,basic metasploit,nmap ect then OSCP

However Hackingdojo is really good course it teaches you what you doing rather than how to use tools so you have a much better understanding of things.

I have not done the OSCP yet but from what I heard its not easy and I would say it was more aimed at someone who has maybe a years pen testing experience.

From what I have read from other people it did not sound like a years pen testing experience was needed.  As long as you know Linux and have a basic understanding for Python you should be good to go.  Or am I wrong?  I am working on my masters in info sec and I know what everything is on the syllabus of the PWB class.  I just don't know how to implement it all, which is why the class is looking really good to me.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:13 pm

j0rDy wrote:somehow i think providing VM's is a better solution. I know i haven't touched quite a few of the systems that are in the OSCP labs, which is a shame cause good practise is hard to get. i know its probably wishful thinking but if OSCP would provide all the systems as VM's i would have learned even more then i already did! then again they would have to rethink the whole 30/60/90 day access concept...

But then again VM's would be nice but the class would prob cost like 3 to 5 times more.
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Agoonie wrote:I have not taken the HackingDojo course but I know the OSCP course teaches you most of the steps in a pentest.  The thing I was most impressed with, was the Pentest report.  That teaches you to organize your thoughts and hacks, then present them in a very detailed and comprehensible report. 

I was able to achieve and recreate each hack just by going thru my notes and practicing.  That really helps when you think of the number of machines that you are attacking.  If I had to pick, I would still go with the OSCP.  I think a beginner can get thru the course.  It just may require more time than someone with more experience. 

Thanks that sounds good, seen that I am working on my masters in info sec its time to get more certs under my belt.
<<

rattis

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:20 pm

El33tsamurai wrote:A vm is just not as real as a real machine you know what I mean? 

Actually, no. Not sure what you mean. :) Considering everyone is consolidating to VM Systems, I think a VM is more real world like than not.

1) hosting sites are leveraging hardware costs by doing VMs
2) companies are doing the same in rented data centers by buying blades and moving to vms. Or buying pizza box servers and installing VMS

Cloud? Yep...

I'm reading the latest edition of Hacking Exposed: Web Applications (3rd edition), and it talks about people using VMs too. My examples I listed above though were from personal experience.
OSWP, Sec+
Next

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional