Calculators

<<

V...

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:28 am

Calculators

Quick question on the CEH exam rules folks, tried to find the answer elsewhere to no avail...

Is a calculator allowed in the exam?

The reason I ask is that I notice a number of questions relate to the transforming of a binary number to dotted octet format.

While this is relatively simple up to, let's say 15-16 bits, when the number is an IP address in decimal format... eg 340985945 etc, a list of 32 bits isn't the most manageable with pen and paper.

Or is it?

If you are required to do these with a pen and paper can anyone point me towards a decent tutorial?

I should add, I can subnet quickly in my head so I'm no stranger to binary calculations - just not those in the 300 million range...  :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

V...
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:41 am

Re: Calculators

In my case, the exam actually had a calculator built in, in the question screen, on specific questions that might need it, but I know we also had access to Windows calculator, if needed.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

r2s

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:47 pm

hayabusa wrote:In my case, the exam actually had a calculator built in, in the question screen, on specific questions that might need it, but I know we also had access to Windows calculator, if needed.

+1. I also had access to a calculator during my examination. It was kind of buggy though :(
In progress: OSCP & GXPN (June)
"Silence enables the sound to be" - Eckhart Toll
<<

MaXe

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:10 pm

hayabusa wrote:In my case, the exam actually had a calculator built in, in the question screen, on specific questions that might need it, but I know we also had access to Windows calculator, if needed.

I know it's off topic, but there's a built-in calculator for GPEN as well :-) It was useful for some larger calculations that were included in some questions.
I'm an InterN0T'er

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker