Recommended Reading for Networking

<<

JayOni

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Recommended Reading for Networking

I know 5 weeks just isnt enough time to finish this book and not enough time for learning all of networking but im really trying to. I wake up at 530am every day and start reviewing then usually at 730am im at my school (a hour early) studying new stuff then by 230pm im back home were I study until midnight. I dont even take weekends off anymore or watch tv or anything its just study study study because I know there ISNT enough time.

My Questions is What should I have a strong understanding for when getting my certification for Network+?

I know that a strong understanding of the OSI is a must and I've learned about 200 different aranyms so far (and still working on them). I've went pass what I should know for command prompt (PING, netstat, ipconfig, apr)
I know the main ports, 802 standards, networking topologies/devices. Theres more but it would be a waste of time to list everything and a waste of your time to read it.

So what are some of the main points that are VERY important in networking (concerning the certification)?
<<

lorddicranius

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Re: Recommended Reading for Networking

I can't really give you specific items.  The questions are pulled randomly from a database, so they aren't the same for everybody.  Where one person might have a lot of questions dealing with OSI, another person might have a lot dealing with IEEE.  I found the Exam Cram books good for reviewing prior to taking my CompTIA exams though.  I've heard the All-in-One Network+ book was good for studying, but this one's another 704 page book...doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for haha.

And why the big rush?  I'd recommend taking some breaks from studying.  They don't have to really long, just take a night off here and there or something.  I mean, unless you absolutely enjoy what you're reading and it's not stressing you our at all.  But from the sounds of it, you're cramming hardcore.  Don't want you to burn yourself out or anything, that's all :)
Last edited by lorddicranius on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

JayOni

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:22 pm

I have to cram hardcore I have no choice my networking class is only 5 weeks long.... no times for breaks lol. I started taking omega3 to enhance my memory even seems to have helped since i've been taking it. I'll get up and streach my legs once in awhile and eat food but unless im studying or sleeping im constantly reviewing stuff i've learned mentally.

I realize that the certification is taken from a pool of like 900 questions or whatever and assigned randomly. But I was more hoping to hear about the main points when some of the people took the test them self anyways.
<<

lorddicranius

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Ok, well in that case...from what I can remember, I had a lot of questions on protocols, troubleshooting, and the OSI model with everything else sprinkled evenly throughout...a lot of term/definition type questions.
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

sil

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Routing TCP/IP Volumes 1 and 2.. All you would seriously need
<<

El33tsamurai

Post Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Dude to be honest this exam was pretty easy.  Did you just start with networking?  Why are you taking a 5 week course?  Is passing the exam part of the course?  Cram exam books are your friends, I always use them 15 to 20 days before I go take the exam just to refresh what I have learnt from everything else, its not meant to study its meant to refresh.  I would say you are studying to much man you have to give yourself a break, OSI is old school they still use it but you will see more questions about TCP/IP stack.  know you cables for everything in networking and how they are wired and why they are wired the way they are wired.  Know the conman ports they will come up!  Key things like DHCP, DNS, and so forth what they are and what they do.  This is a introduction cert so don't over think it by looking so deep into something, make sure to know the basics not the 600 page manual on DNS you know what I mean?
CCENT, A+, Network+, Security+

Return to Networking