Choosing between v6 and v7

<<

mastodon

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Choosing between v6 and v7

I signed up with a CEH training provider who is still in transition from v6 to v7 and doesn't yet have everything up to speed for v7.  I know EC is allowing testing for v6 for the next few months at least, so I'm trying to decide if I should wait for v7 or go with v6.  Any advice from current cert holders is welcome.

I'm looking at a couple of tradeoffs.  My school won't have the official courseware for v7 untill July, so if I went that route I'd have to juggle some other certs around and take them first.  Also I'm noticing there aren't any published study guides for v7 out yet.  That's a bigger problem in my mind because the official courseware looks more like reference material than something I'd use for actual study.

But I've heard the v7 is much better than v6, and I'm certainly interested in learning the latest and greatest attacks, not to mention the frankenstein toolkit sounds pretty cool.  So what I'm trying to find out is whether v7 is really that different than v6, or whether I can take v6 and easily pick up anything missing on my own.
<<

Solinus

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:14 am

Re: Choosing between v6 and v7

I am actually looking at the same decision. The material for V6 is proven and available. The exam can be taken up until Sept 30th of this year which should be enough time to study for it. There seem to be some good updates in V7 as far as technology, but I think either one should be good for knowledge building. I am attracted to some of the changes listed in the V7, like the Monster Hacking Tool Repository, Codenamed Frankenstein and a subscription based Virtual Lab Environment codenamed iLabs.

Tough choice to say the least
Kerry
MCITP:EA | MCTS(x5) | MCSA+ | MCSE+ | Security + | CCNA | WCSP |
DSCE | PCT |CIW Security Analyst | CSSA
<<

mastodon

Post Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: Choosing between v6 and v7

Right, so far I'm not seeing a whole lot of differences based on previous comments.  Some posters have mentioned v7 drops old tech like NT and includes newer stuff like bluetooth and VOIP.  But looking at my 6.1 courseware I see bluetooth, VOIP and a lot of other stuff that isn't even listed on the exam objectives, so I'm wondering just how different the versions are.

Hopefully someone will get back to us on this. :)

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker