connecting to a pc threw mac address

<<

JayOni

Post Sun May 29, 2011 1:28 pm

connecting to a pc threw mac address

Ok once again I'd like to say that im a student and currently in my network+ class, I could probably look this info up myself eventually wasting between 1-3 hours of study time but since you guys were so helpful with my last post about the command prompt I figured I'd ask you guys again.

Ok here the thing I want to know how to connect to a PC on my network threw the MAC (I got 4 computers on my network so its good hands on practice instead of just book learning). I already got a program that scans all of the IP address and converts them into the MAC address on my network, and it works i've tested it already. So what would I do from here do I use another 3rd party software program or is there a more direct route?

Anyways i'm going back to studying hope somebody can help me.
<<

Grendel

Post Sun May 29, 2011 1:46 pm

Re: connecting to a pc threw mac address

I'm not sure you understand the way the TCP/IP stack works - whenever you send a packet to a computer (using IP address) the link layer has to be involved (which includes the MAC protocol). And if you want to talk between applications, then you have to also progress through the Internet layer and Transport layer. You can't really talk with the system until you get past the Internet layer (and then it's not very meaningful until you get to the application layer).

If you're trying to avoid using IP addresses, and only communicate between systems at the link layer, then focus on those protocols at that layer... but MAC and all the other protocols at this layer have the only function of moving packets between different systems.

This question seems a bit nonsensical to me - again, I'm not sure you understand how the stack works.
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

JayOni

Post Sun May 29, 2011 1:55 pm

well the thing is my teacher who accually teaches my class also teaches ethical hacking and she mentioned that if a "hacker" obtains your MAC address they can have free access to your PC. And I do know a little bit about the way it stacks but just a brief summary.

Are you saying a program doesnt exist out there that goes from the data link to the 7th layer of application? By internet layer are you talking about the network layer? Sorry if it doesnt make sense just trying to get some hands on experience so i can see it on a hands on exersize so i can understand it a bit better

EDIT: And by go from the data link to application i dont mean dirrectly to it i mean from data link to network, transport, session, presentation then application just to clearify.
Last edited by JayOni on Sun May 29, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Grendel

Post Sun May 29, 2011 3:30 pm

1) I'm a college professor and teach hacking, write about hacking, and live by hacking.

2) Someone who obtains your MAC address does not have free access to your PC. There has to be a vulnerability, misconfiguration or human error that permits it. It's like saying I can steal your computer data by simply knowing your snail-mail address. I'm assuming she said some other things as well, and didn't just leave it at that statement.

3) Yes, there are programs that go from the data link to application (hitting all the ones in between)... in fact, you're using one now - the web browser.
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

JayOni

Post Sun May 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Ok that clears things up a bit but does that mean there no way to access computer A on my network from computer B going from data link, network, transport, session, presentation, application? (As far as I know this process is done automatically and can not be done manually right?)

Let me rephrase the question now I suppose
How can I access another computer on my home LAN without having to put in the username or address? (while i already know every user and password on my personal network im still looking for hands on stuff to do)

I know some of my questions seem kinda stupid sometimes im sorry for that but if i was clear on the entire thing I wouldn't need to ask questions.
<<

Data_Raid

Post Sun May 29, 2011 5:18 pm

I wish it was that easy to exploit a machine with just the MAC address  ;)

The MAC address simply lists the physical address burnt into the network card/device when the device is manufactured. The MAC address should be unique and usually a manufacturer will have a MAC address prefix assigned to that company, for example Cisco is assigned: FC-FB-FB (hex) Cisco Systems. MAC addresses can be changed/spoofed though. The MAC address list is available from: http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/oui/oui.txt

MAC addresses are used on the local LAN to locate the machine you would like to communicate with, in order for your computer to communicate with an IP Address of say 192.168.1.2, your computer which has an IP Address of 192.168.1.1 will perform an ARP request for the machine. Your computer will ARP broadcast (255.255.255.255) on the local LAN "Who has 192.168.1.2 tell 192.168.1.1"
All devices on the same network will receive the broadcast and the device that knows where 192.168.1.2 is located will reply: "192.168.1.2 is at 00:11:11:22:3d:11". Now that your computer knows where the device is located (the physical MAC Address) it will start communicating with that device.

If you want to communicate with another device that is not on your local LAN then your computer will still perform an ARP request (broadcast locally). The router on the local network will respond to the ARP request with the router's MAC address if the router has a route to the remote host, the router will respond with its own MAC address. Open up a command prompt or terminal and check the ARP entries that your computer knows about, type "arp -a". You should see your default router's IP Address and associated MAC address. Now that you know what the MAC address and IP Address is you still need to investigate how you can connect to that machine. NMAP is handy for this. You need to know what ports are open and what services are running in order to connect/access another computer the Operating System is also handy.

I'd ask your teacher to explain in detail how someone can get free access to your computer. Was there any mention of WiFi and MAC address restrictions?
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

JayOni

Post Sun May 29, 2011 6:13 pm

thanks data raid i knew bits and parts of that but your explination helps me understand it alot clearer I think that about sums it up for this topic thanks alot guys.  :D

you gave me exactly what i need to know to run my own little hands on lab. i needed to take a break from all that book learning so i'll turn my attention to this after i take a shower im covered in dirt from doing my grandpa's garden
<<

eEv63

Post Mon May 30, 2011 1:44 pm

JayOni i hope you are not doing AFCEH course..??
<<

JayOni

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:09 pm

No Im not taking my Ethical hacking corse until into like mid next year or something but it is something i'd like to learn if not get certified in. Right now im focusing on my Network+

Return to Networking