Post Wed May 25, 2011 6:34 pm

[Article]-Course Review: CPT by InfoSec Institute

Another great review by one of our Free Monthly Giveaway Winners. Thanks Michael. Hope this is helpful to all you EH-Netters.

Permanent link: [Article]-Course Review: CPT by InfoSec Institute

Review by Michael Heinzl 

Thanks to The Ethical Hacker Network (EH-Net) I received the November 2010 Giveaway of a free seat in InfoSec Institute’s Ethical Hacking Course. I had read and heard positive feedback about InfoSec Institute and their courses, so I was already interested to see if their reputation holds up. The course teaches the fundamentals of penetration testing and prepares students for both EC-Council’s Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) and IACRB’s Certified Penetration Tester (CPT) certifications. Besides their basic ethical hacking course, InfoSec Institute also offers two more courses focused on penetration testing, targeting a more experienced audience, as well as two courses towards reverse code engineering (all with regards to their pentesting track).

InfoSec Institute describes their Ethical Hacking Course as follow: “Our most popular information security and hacking training goes in-depth into the techniques used by malicious, black hat hackers with attention getting lectures and hands-on lab exercises. While these hacking skills can be used for malicious purposes, this class teaches you how to use the same hacking techniques to perform a white-hat, ethical hack, on your organization. You leave with the ability to quantitatively assess and measure threats to information assets; and discover where your organization is most vulnerable to hacking in this network security training course.

If you are in the same situation as me, and wouldn’t be able to sit for the live training in person, InfoSec Institute offer some of their courses in an online format, which is basically a recorded class from the live version, split into a couple of modules.

So let’s take a closer look at the online version of InfoSec Institute’s Ethical Hacking Course and IACRB’s Certified Penetration Tester certification.

As always, let us know what you think and pose any questions to the reviewer,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME