Hallelujah! I passed GPEN with 87% :-)

<<

MaXe

Post Sun May 22, 2011 11:41 am

Hallelujah! I passed GPEN with 87% :-)

During the beginning of this / last week (depending on when you read this), I travelled to the Kryterion authorized test facilities and took the GPEN exam. After 2 hours and 20 minutes, I was done and had passed with 87,33%.

What a nice feeling, and it certainly made me more aware of other topics I didn't have much focus on before.

I look very much forward to the day my certificate arrives ;D
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

Data_Raid

Post Sun May 22, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: Hallelujah! I passed GPEN with 87% :-)

Congrats MaXe!
You'll be impressed with the certificate when it arrives :)
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

MaXe

Post Sun May 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Data_Raid wrote:Congrats MaXe!
You'll be impressed with the certificate when it arrives :)

Thanks Data_Raid!  :)

I searched for it on Google and saw how it looked like, damn it looks awesome  ;D (Hence the reason I can't wait! hehe)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

lorddicranius

Post Sun May 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Gratz MaXe, that's awesome! :)
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Sun May 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Congratz MaXe. How did you find it? I found that it complemented the OSCP quite well.
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

MaXe

Post Sun May 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks lorddicranius!

Dark_Knight wrote:Congratz MaXe. How did you find it? I found that it complemented the OSCP quite well.

It forced me into some nice theory, about topics I hadn't read much about, until I had to prepare for the exam  :)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

j0rDy

Post Mon May 23, 2011 2:54 am

Congrats MaXe! impressive score for sure ;D any new developments/plans yet?
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

n1p

Post Mon May 23, 2011 6:56 am

Maxe,

Congrats. I am giving some serious thought to taking it. I presume you self-studied? Can you provide info on referenced material/books?

n1p
<<

Darktaurus

Post Mon May 23, 2011 7:23 am

Congrats Maxe!! I was also wondering how it compared to the OSCE exam.  A lot of people here seem to have the GPEN so it must be very informative and a good certification to have.
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

MaXe

Post Mon May 23, 2011 8:56 am

j0rDy wrote:Congrats MaXe! impressive score for sure ;D any new developments/plans yet?

Thanks j0rDy! If I had trusted my own opinions more, (I was thinking in "GIAC terms" on occasion), I probably would've scored a little bit higher. But it was a nice score that I found acceptable  :) Nothing new currently, well, besides a few projects, etc. but that is not related to this certification  ;D

n1p wrote:
Maxe,

Congrats. I am giving some serious thought to taking it. I presume you self-studied? Can you provide info on referenced material/books?

n1p

Thanks n1p! If you want the easiest way I'd go with a self-study course of SANS SEC560, but the OSCP course with perhaps OSWP, general knowledge, laws in e.g., UK, USA, Japan, Singapore, Germany and perhaps a few other countries will do much good. (Don't forget ethics, terminology, how a report is written, and other topics like these.)

It is possible to pass without any knowledge of laws, but it will probably be right on the edge. If you read The Penetration Testers Open Source Toolkit vol. 2, NIST SP800-42, skim through ISSAF, know about OSSTMM, have a good idea of the ethics and terminology of a penetration test, and have a good base knowledge within Web Application Security, Post-Exploitation, Buffer Overflows, commands in linux and windows (post-exploitation), reconnaissance, information gathering, exploits in general, password attacks, and wireless attacks, then you're good to go.

I wrote a few more things here as well:
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... /#msg38351

In short: "Jack of all Trades" (no speciality), or "Know most of the common attacks, defenses and information / technology related to these, this is your baseline for passing GPEN.

Without having studied (at all), I got a score of 77% during a practice test. (enough to pass.)
I failed primarily on laws, because they were not related to neither Denmark nor Sweden at all. Some of the terminology was a bit rusty on my part as well, but all it took was some dedication  :)

Agoonie wrote:Congrats Maxe!! I was also wondering how it compared to the OSCE exam.  A lot of people here seem to have the GPEN so it must be very informative and a good certification to have.

Thanks Agoonie! Oh it can't be compared to OSCE at all! GPEN is a good baseline certificate, but it does not give you the hardcore hands-on experience that OSCE or for that sake even OSCP does.

I haven't taken CEH yet, but I think it may be somewhat related to GPEN. Another certificate I've seen from GIAC was GSEC, it looks similar to CISSP. (I haven't done these either.)

It was nice in many ways, to obtain my second certification though  :)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu May 26, 2011 3:01 pm

Congrats, MaXe!

Went ahead and took my freebie (from both CEH v7 and OSCP in the last year) GPEN exam, this morning, and passed, too.  Just under 2 hours (1:54), with an 85%.  So now there's 2 of us, in the past week!   ;)

Edit - BTW, without giving the questions out / away...  Did you have a couple that you felt were ALL incorrect answers?  I had one, and because I felt they were ALL wrong, I intentionally just picked the MOST incorrect one, anyway...  I actually, supposedly, got that one right...  Needless to say, I commented in the survey, afterward, about that one, and a couple of others.
Last edited by hayabusa on Thu May 26, 2011 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

lorddicranius

Post Thu May 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Congrats to you also, hayabusa!  Pretty awesome knowing the knowledge level of the user-base here (and willingness to share experience and help out).  I finally have a place to go to search/ask my questions!
GSEC, eCPPT, Sec+
<<

MaXe

Post Thu May 26, 2011 4:38 pm

hayabusa wrote:Congrats, MaXe!

Went ahead and took my freebie (from both CEH v7 and OSCP in the last year) GPEN exam, this morning, and passed, too.  Just under 2 hours (1:54), with an 85%.  So now there's 2 of us, in the past week!   ;)

Edit - BTW, without giving the questions out / away...  Did you have a couple that you felt were ALL incorrect answers?  I had one, and because I felt they were ALL wrong, I intentionally just picked the MOST incorrect one, anyway...  I actually, supposedly, got that one right...  Needless to say, I commented in the survey, afterward, about that one, and a couple of others.

Thanks hayabusa!  :) Congratulations with the 85%, you'll receive a mail from SANS most likely as well about becoming a mentor, if you passed with that score or above, but the bummer is that you have to find students yourself I heard.  :D

With some of the questions, I felt that more than one could possibly be correct, so I got in doubt, and chose the one that I believed GIAC would think was correct. Then it appeared to be most likely the one I initially would've picked. It was mostly some of the non-technical questions that can easily be misunderstood due to there's so many different terminologies imho, but I like my passing score  :)

I commented also about the very application specific questions, informing them that not all pentesters use this particular program, some uses others as this other program may have more features, be more reliable, or simply just be more efficient and simple than the other.

lorddicranius wrote:Congrats to you also, hayabusa!  Pretty awesome knowing the knowledge level of the user-base here (and willingness to share experience and help out).  I finally have a place to go to search/ask my questions!

I think that is one of the reasons most of us is here, the user-base  :)
I'm an InterN0T'er
<<

caissyd

Post Sat May 28, 2011 9:31 am

Congratz Hayabusa and MaXe!!!

When I passed it last November, they were very quick at sending my emails to become a SANS mentor. But they said you need to own two SANS certification before you can become a mentor. So let me know guys if you receive an email from them...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

MaXe

Post Sat May 28, 2011 1:03 pm

H1t M0nk3y wrote:Congratz Hayabusa and MaXe!!!

When I passed it last November, they were very quick at sending my emails to become a SANS mentor. But they said you need to own two SANS certification before you can become a mentor. So let me know guys if you receive an email from them...

Thanks H1t M0nk3y!  :)

They were very quick with me as well, I wonder if it's an auto-mail if you pass with 85% or above? I received 2, one in common and another for EMEA (since I live in Europe). I didn't read anything about you need two SANS or GIAC certifications, but maybe they'll reply back to me with that info not written anywhere  ;)

I'll try to remember to inform you what the reply was, so far I'm close to waiting 10 business days (which is the handling time they wrote it would take). I'm patient anyway  :D
Last edited by MaXe on Sat May 28, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an InterN0T'er
Next

Return to GPEN - GIAC Certified Penetration Tester